Junior UI Designer
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About The Role
The Telegraph are looking for a Junior UI Designer to join our award winning in-house Product Design team. It’s an exciting opportunity to lead and shape the future of our customer journeys. Day to day you’ll be collaborating with peers and stakeholders, creating experiences that keep our users coming back time and again. From UX focused subscription to bespoke storytelling initiatives and design system components.
You’ll work as part of a cross-functional team, collaborating with other designers, developers and working closely with core Editorial, Subscriptions, Product and Technology stakeholders to drive positive change to our user experiences and to achieve shared goals. You’ll sit within the Telegraph’s new Product department, with deliverables including but not limited to research, detailed user journeys, sitemaps, wireframes, high fidelity UI designs as well as creative digital experiences for special editorial projects.
We’re looking for a hands-on designer who isn’t afraid to challenge a brief and strives to constantly find ways to evolve and iterate user experiences. A background in interaction, graphic design or a relative degree is a must and a keen eye for detail will serve you well. Information is key and you won’t be afraid to dig into data, session cams and heatmaps to get to the bottom of a problem. You’ll know failures are as important as successes and be able to build upon your learnings. Confident in presenting concepts to the design team and wider stakeholders, you’ll be capable of acting on feedback and knowing when to prioritise user experience over business goals and vice versa.
- Develop high quality visual designs with a keen eye for typography, colour theory, grid systems and knowledge of user interface approaches across a range of digital platforms including responsive web and app
- Design end to end user experiences from concept through to developer handoff
- Design a range of features in order to communicate solutions, starting with journeys and then working up to sitemaps, wireframes and prototypes
- Work with stakeholders to design iterative A/B and MVT testing programmes to validate your ideas, learning through failures as much as successes
- Contributing to The Telegraph Design System
- Be able to clearly articulate your design thinking and process with robust rationale for your design decisions
- Create bespoke experiences and designs, utilising animation and prototyping tools, to bring your ideas to life during presentations
- Be confident in presenting to stakeholders of any seniority, collating feedback and translating into actions with the team
- Be a motivated team player, keen to learn, ambitious in your thinking and brave in your designs, with the ability to perform well under pressure
Essential skills required for the role
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your design process and thinking, a good eye for or experience with graphic design is a must, digital design patterns and interactions, and understanding of product development process
- A BA in a design related degree, or minimum 1 year experience.
- Experience and knowledge of design software, such as Figma, Sketch and Adobe Creative Cloud, as well as prototyping tools, such as Figma or Invision, etc.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience in front end development
- Previous work experience in news media organisations or subscription industries
- Able to create graphic items to support the design, including icons, illustrations, animations and interactions.
- Experience of working with and contributing to a Design System
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.