Senior IP Counsel - Trademark and Brand
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
Show that gap who’s boss!
Women are 16% less likely than men to apply to a job once they’ve viewed it, but are 16% more likely to get hired after applying to a job.*
*LinkedIn Talent Solutions Gender Insights Report 2019
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We're looking for a driven and talented attorney to join our growing team at Atlassian in an IP Counsel role focusing on trademarks, brand protection, and product counseling. Reporting to our Director of IP, this is your opportunity to be part of an exciting, fast-growing company with an amazing culture and legal team.
More About Our Team
We are a tight-knit, collaborative, and communicative team that tackles diverse legal issues and generates balanced, pragmatic business solutions to enable Atlassian to scale.
In This Role, You'll Get To:
- Engage our product and marketing teams by helping them work through Atlassian’s trademark and brand-related issues.
- Provide risk analysis and advice on product naming, trademark protection, and brand enforcement.
- Run our global trademark portfolio and manage day-to-day prosecution matters with our outside counsel.
- Work with the commercial legal team on IP provisions in customer and vendor contracts.
- Work on M&A deals in a trademark and brand advisor role, collaborating closely with our M&A team and business units.
- Support integration of newly acquired business units with respect to trademark/brand issues (e.g. transfer and refresh of TM and domain portfolios).
- Help assess and respond to notice and takedowns based on trademark and copyright complaints.
- Support the IP team on other priorities, including adversarial matters like TM oppositions and litigations.
- You take ownership, roll up your sleeves, and get things done with directional guidance.
- You have the confidence to independently manage complex projects and the drive to build new functionality.
- You can navigate a complex organization and work with ambiguity.
- You have the capability to meet, engage, and build relationships with a broad spectrum of Atlassians across our legal, product and marketing organizations.
- You like to master new subject areas, whether new laws, new technologies or new business strategies.
- You can listen to our business stakeholders with a desire to understand and solve their problems with intelligence and empathy.
- You have a strong background in trademark and brand protection matters, with additional experience in copyright and litigation matters being a plus factor.
- JD and admission to at least one state bar
- 5-7+ years practicing law, at a law firm or in-house
- Significant experience in trademark and brand protection matters
- Passion to understand our products, our culture, and our business model
- Drive to improve on existing systems and methods
More About You:
On Your First Day, We'll Expect You To Have:
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!