Commercial Legal Director, Transformation & Scale
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic attorney and people manager to join our growing Commercial & Global Business Operations (GBO) Legal Team. You will take on a new role, working with leaders across the Legal department and business to collaboratively accelerate our customers' journey to the cloud. At the same time, you will set the course and help us implement innovation in all aspects of how we provide legal support for our commercial endeavors, to help Atlassian scale and continue its growth.
Are you a curious, forward-looking creator excited to effect change and grow your career in a values-oriented environment? Then you might be the person we're looking for!
Your future team
You will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel, Commercial & Global Business Operations Legal Team.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with the broader Legal team and an array of business leaders, including those in Cloud Shift, Enterprise Sales, Go-to-Market, Channel, Economy, Support and Services, Marketing, Procurement, Finance, Security, Product, and Engineering, to develop and execute strategic plans that help our customers accelerate their successful journey to the cloud.
- Develop a strategy for delivering efficient, scalable legal support across all of Atlassian's commercial operations to support a growing and transforming business, working collaboratively with regional leaders to implement.
- Help lead projects that support our cloud and scaling transformation efforts – from initial brainstorming and engagement of partners, through building project roadmaps and execution, supporting change management, and finally measuring and communicating successes and business impact.
- Build a support model for managing our end-to-end commercial infrastructure resources (e.g., templates, guides, training) and lead cross-team efforts to maintain.
- Partner with our Legal Operations team on our use of automation and data analytics in the delivery of legal support for commercial operations.
- Lead the growing Transformation and Scale function within the Commercial & GBO Legal Team and manage a Commercial Team Program Manager and the portfolio of work to support our goal to scale and innovate new ways of working for our department.
- You are a broad-based and practical business attorney with substantial commercial experience and business acumen, focused on delivering business-oriented results.
- You are highly curious and excel in high-growth environments.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator, and inspire change across teams.
- You have led teams and programs to deliver successful outcomes.
- You operate with a sense of urgency and are adept at managing competing priorities.
- You take ownership, roll up your sleeves, and get things done.
- You are forward-thinking and creative, and are not afraid to try new things.
- You are passionate about technology, and stay informed about what's happening in the industry.
- You operate with the highest integrity.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing attorney, with at least five years practicing as an in-house lawyer (preferably for a multinational, publicly-listed company).
- 3+ years of management experience with legal teams, either as direct manager or serving as peer leader for functional or project teams.
- In-depth knowledge of commercial and contract law based on working in a law firm and/or in-house on complex technology transactions for a software and/or cloud services provider; expertise in other legal fields like intellectual property, privacy and data protection law an additional benefit.
- JD from an accredited law school and be a member in good standing of at least one state Bar
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $205,500 - $315,100
Zone B: $184,900 - $283,600
Zone C: $170,500 - $261,600
Within each range, base pay is ultimately determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please see here for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!