Head of Global Payroll
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
This is a remote role, but to help our teams work together effectively, this role requires you to be located in the PST timezones.
Your future team
Atlassian is looking for an experienced and detail-oriented Functional Head of Global Payroll to join our team. In this role, you will oversee and manage the payroll function for our global operations in AMER, EMEA, and APJ. You will lead the development and implementation of payroll policies, procedures, and systems to ensure that all employees are paid accurately and on time, while maintaining compliance with local tax and regulatory requirements.
The ideal person will have experience growing and scaling a global payroll operation, including managing change when transitioning to a new country and implementing adjustments to existing payroll processes and systems. We are looking for someone that will bring their whole self to work and add more of that special spice that makes our TEAM great. Atlassian is truly a great place to work. Come and see it for yourself!
What you'll do
- Develop and implement global payroll policies and procedures to ensure compliance with local tax and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the payroll function across multiple countries, ensuring accurate and timely payment of employees.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of payroll systems, processes, and controls to ensure the integrity and accuracy of payroll data.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external payroll vendors and service providers.
- Partner with HR, Finance, Legal, and IT teams to ensure compliance with global payroll policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance and support to local payroll teams and ensure consistency across all global payroll operations.
- Monitor and analyze payroll metrics to identify trends and opportunities for improvement.
- Manage the annual payroll budget, ensuring that costs are within budget and any variances are explained and addressed.
- Review accounting impact of non-standard payroll transactions and prepare quarterly flux analysis.
- Stay current on global payroll trends and regulatory changes, and make recommendations for process improvements and updates.
- Travel domestically and internationally as required.
- 10+ years of experience in global payroll management, with a strong understanding of international payroll compliance requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or a related field.
- Experience managing a team of payroll professionals across multiple countries.
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems and processes, including ADP, Workday, NetSuite, and/or Oracle.
- Excellent communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Jira experience is a plus
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $170,100 - $261,000
Zone B: $153,100 - $234,900
Zone C: $141,200 - $216,600
Within each range, base pay is ultimately determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!