Senior Principal Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Your future team
Atlassian's Infrastructure Service Management (ISM) team (~200+ engineers across ~16 teams) lifts the security, reliability and productivity of every developer shipping code for Atlassian cloud. The core of our team is our PaaS which abstracts Compute, Storage and Network and Service Communications.
We're hiring a Senior Principal Software Engineer, reporting to the Head of Infrastructure Service Management. The ISM team succeeds by lifting up other Atlassian developers. You will work with people across the engineering organization to understand their goals and how Infrastructure can help them achieve those goals better and faster.
We have a great PaaS, we have great shared services, and we have a mature SRE model. You'll help us dream the next step change to lift security, reliability and performance for our customers, and unleash the potential of Atlassian developers.
In this role, you will:
- Dive deep, remaining hands-on and and develop experience of building, operating and improving our systems.
- Continuosly gain understanding of teams' pain points in increasing dev productivity
- Drive the resolution of extremely complex issues, from deep-diving into important customer issues all the way to driving its resolution within the engineering team of a vendor
- Uncover future needs and challenges while also digging into our current and most important ones
- Collaborate with varying levels and teams across the engineering org, leading project teams and influencing along the way
- Influence our technical direction - driving service architecture across multiple departments, each of which has hundreds of developers
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- 8+ years of experience in designing/building enterprise-grade solutions using microservices. Fluency in the current landscape (Java stack, Kotlin, Observability tools, and service operations)
- Expertise in designing, building and operating scalable infrastructure platforms used by hundreds of service owners
- Experience in dealing with infrastructure at a scale that pushes the vendor limits. You know how to design systems that will gracefully tolerate hitting unknown limits and have experience with architectures that allow you to overtake those limits such as sharding and cell-based architecture
- Passion for recognizing, raising, and reconciling gaps and opportunities across organizations
- Desire to thrive in a large, fast-paced organization; ability to balance multiple projects under pressure
It's great, but not required if you have:
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Experience with public cloud (we're on AWS, but we also believe skills with other cloud providers are transferrable)
- Experience with compute technologies including containerized and serverless architectures
- Experience with complex networks and service meshes
- Experience with cloud data and storage technologies
- Experience in cloud security and reliability
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $217,500 - $333,500
Zone B: $195,700 - $300,200
Zone C: $180,500 - $276,900
Within each range, base pay is determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
#LI-Hybrid #LI-Remote #LI-LS2
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!