Applications for this job have closed. This page will redirect to Atlassian employer page in 10 seconds.
Principal Technical Data Scientist
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Your future team
We're looking for a Data leader with business instincts and analytics mastery that has led projects improving data science efficiency. You are someone that is passionate about applying these skills to increase data quality, reduce the need for data scientists to perform data engineering tasks and love working across the organization to create the proper data layer to increase data science productivity.
You will be reporting to our Head of Experimentation.
What you'll do
- Draw on your expertise in understanding software development lifecycle and developer productivity to think about what are data and insights features that we should ship to our internal data science customers to influence the way they work.
- Partner with the data engineering and platform teams to Identify and support a short, medium and long-term portfolio of projects that improves data assets used across data science.
- Envision, scope, and lead projects by collaborating with partners, software and data engineering leaders, and data scientists.
- Guide the creation of tools that allow a centralized data framework that improves the efficiency, quality and capabilities of all data analysts and scientists.
- Oversee business case development, data requirement gathering (including metrics and definitions), establishing acceptance criteria, QAing, and testing for new transformational data products from start to finish to ensure everything is implemented and validated.
- Work across marketing and product to develop monitoring and action plans across the data quality lifecycle (instrumentation → transformation → data/metrics/segments)
- Lead, coach, and build solutions from within a center of excellence.
- Collaborate with the Business Intelligence team to define and achieve standard segment and metric definitions and governance.
- Contribute into overall Data Science team OKRs.
- Be part of building an outstanding analytics culture at Atlassian. Leading by example, through education and creation of self-service tools, to make a lasting change in how data is used to make decisions.
- Guide demo sessions and education roll out for new data products and features to ensure adoption and usage.
- 10+ years of experience with a combination of data science, analytics and data engineering experience.
- Experience working with software and data engineering teams, an understanding of the software development. lifecycle, what drives software team to succeed and exposure to typical software engineering tools (e.g. Jira, SCM, CI/CD systems).
- Expertise in data modeling, (e.g. SQL, Python), knowledge of cloud data environments (e.g. AWS), and experience with DBT, data ETLs, and UAT processes.
- An Agile development mindset, appreciating the benefit of constant iteration and improvement. A very high bar for output quality, while balancing "having something now" vs. "perfection in the future".
- Experience applying your analytics skills to identify and lead projects that have had impact on strategic and product roadmap decisions
- A very high bar for output quality; with experience coaching teams to balance thoughtfulness, perfection and speed.
- Experience in at least one visualization tool (e.g. Tableau, R-Shiny, dash, Microstrategy)
- Comfort explaining complex concepts to diverse audiences (such as Product Managers, Designers, Engineers), and creating compelling stories.
- Project management and prioritization experience; preferably with Data Engineering, Product Management, and Software Engineering teams.
At Atlassian, we strive to design equitable and explainable compensation programs. To support this goal, the baseline of our range is higher than that of the typical market range, but in turn we expect to hire most candidates near this baseline. Base pay within the range is ultimately determined by a candidate's skills, expertise, or experience.
In the United States, we have three geographic pay zones. For this role, our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $201,300 - $268,400
Zone B: $181,200 - $241,600
Zone C: $167,100 - $222,800
This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefitsto learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.