Lead Data Engineer
Location: Riverwoods, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
The Lead Data Engineer role requires excellent communication skills for understanding business vision and the ability to translate the vision into technical artifacts. Strong technical analysis and design background is also a must-have to ensure that technical deliverables are providing flexible, architecturally sound infrastructure with the ability to reuse in future Data Stores, analytical and operational in AWS.
- Develop data driven solutions utilizing current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Optimize the performance of ETL processes and scripts by working with other technical staff as needed.
- Provide business/ data analysis and develop ETL code and scripting to meet all technical specifications and business requirements according to the established designs.
- Design, develop, test, and implement data-driven solutions to meet business requirements.
- Ability to quickly identify an opportunity and recommend possible technical solutions.
- Develop application systems that comply with the standard system development methodology and concepts for design, programming, backup, and recovery to deliver solutions that have superior performance and integrity.
- Contribute to determining programming approach, tools, and techniques that best meet the business requirements.
- Custom Data pipeline development (Cloud and locally hosted).
- Work heavily within the Cloud ecosystem utilizing the current Discover Cloud data fabric.
- Work in the Agile/ scrum team environment as part of the established Product teams
- Provide support for deployed data applications and analytical models by being a trusted advisor to Data Scientists and other data consumers by identifying data problems and guiding issue resolution with partner Data Engineers and source data providers.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the analysis, preparation of specifications and plans for the development of data processes.
- Ensure proper data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating Data Lineage, Quality checks, classification, etc.
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks leveraging open source tools and data processing frameworks.
- Designs and develops complex and critical data projects.
- Develops, implements, and supports application codes and analytical models.
- Creates and enhances data solutions that enable seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Designs and develops real time processing solutions.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors degree in Information Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of work experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering, or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 6+ years of work experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering/ Data Analysis, or related.
- Hands on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) based solutions such as Lambda, Dynamo dB, Snowflake and S3.
- Knowledge of Data Warehouse technology (Unix/Teradata/Ab Initio/Python/Spark/Snowflake/No SQL).
- Experience in migrating ETL processes (not just data) from relational warehouse Databases to AWS based solutions.
- Experience in building & utilizing tools and frameworks within the Big Data ecosystem including Kafka, Spark, and NoSQL.
- Experience with Agile Tools like Jira/ Rally.
- Deep knowledge and very strong in SQL and Relational Databases.
- Willingness to continuously learn & share learnings with others.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Very strong verbal & written communication skills.
- Experience within the Financial industry.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.