Principal Application Engineer
Location: Riverwoods, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As a Principal Application Automation Engineer, you will make a big impact in strengthening our applications by designing and implementing automation solutions. In our Agile environment, you’ll focus on automation solutions to eliminate manual tasks and improve/modernize the reliability of our applications (availability, self-healing, performance, efficiency, monitoring, reporting and capacity planning of our services). Your projects will deliver enhanced infrastructure, development, and deployment automation at Discover.
- Create automation solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
- Convert automation requirements into solution & code
- Competent in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
- Proactively identifies and delivers automation solutions
- Is not afraid to learn new systems and works in automation use cases in new applications that might require learning (new tools/scripts/languages)
- Participates in strategic technology decisions and learns how these decisions impact Discover as a whole
- Coaches’ technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science or related
- 6+ Years -- Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Coding and scripting experience (Java, Spring Boot, Python, Jenkins, Selenium, Bash scripting, Linux command & environment exposure, Basic HTML+CSS).
- Experience with performance engineering
- Proficient in monitoring, alerting, analyzing and troubleshooting large scale distributed systems
- Experience in DevOps skills and methodologies - creating and managing a continuous build, integration, test, and deployment systems
- Experience with Splunk, Openshift Container Platform, AWS, RabbitMQ, Kafka, HBase, Spark, Unix, Big Data ecosystem, Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB, Gemfire
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.