Director, People Technology
Location: Riverwoods, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
The Director of People Technology will steer Discover's People Operations team and will serve and engage as primary Product Owner, developing the technical vision and roadmap responsible for delivering seamless, simple and impactful experiences for our people. This will include design, deployment, and management of the HR Technology portfolio by understanding our customers (our people) and delivering meaningful outcomes.
This person seeks opportunities to optimize and evolve our current tech stack and source and implement new technology that creates best in class solutions, driving business outcomes. You will advocate for and embrace diversity, foster inclusivity, help create an environment of trust and respect leading to equitable and progressive solutions.
- Builds customer-first relationship to enable and support the HR team in analytics, insights and all people related services.
- Partners and guides the Business Technology team to ensure end-to-end outcomes and integrated solutions across the enterprise.
- Preserves the health of systems by regularly engaging with HR and the business to understand operational challenges and aid in root cause problem resolution.
- Guides and coaches a team of ~25 Technology professionals to successfully deliver on complex system implementations that improve upon the employee experience and meet the needs of our customer.
- Overall leadership for multiple Workday modules and acts as tier 3 support.
- This person will embrace a product owner mindset in both their leadership and in projects from request and requirements though configuration and roll out. Communicating thoroughly with experience and user adoption in mind.
- Oversee the existing technology roadmap inclusive of the Learning Management System (LMS), the Applicant Tracking System (ATS), and the core Human Capital Management (HCM) platform.
- Simplify the technology stack and systems supporting HR. Create a governance and prioritization structure for future configurations, products, and upgrades.
- Ensure all systems are running on the most relevant and recent releases. Inform third party vendors’ development roadmaps. Enable seamless integration across multiple systems, vendors, and platforms.
- Optimize the HCM and case management platform (Workday/ServiceNow) to eliminate manual work, drive efficiency, and ensure compliance.
- Develop end-to-end experiences and journeys through technology.
What You’ll Do
- Design, develop, test and direct the on-going administration of HR Technology, including selection of software.
- Provide strategic vision and direction for HR technology to ensure the effective processing and management of employee data –ensuring strong data governance and architecture to enable the delivery of key insights.
- Partner with technology vendors and service providers to guide improved performance and adherence to SLAs and experiences. Ensure appropriate controls are in place and maintained.
- Build technology in a way that can deliver people analytics that are helpful to the business and to the HR team.
- Guide strategic HR technology contract negotiations and extensions with current partners-collaborating with Procurement, Technology, Risk Management, and Internal Counsel to ensure appropriate contractual outcomes.
- Be the tier 3 escalation point for technology matters while building and enabling tier 0 and tier 1 support for People Operations.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or related field in lieu of degree.
- 8+ years HCM administration, implementation and support.
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience managing professionals who own configuration, maintenance, support, and project management of Workday projects.
- Workday applications; Core HCM, Recruiting, Onboarding, Benefits, Advanced Compensation, Time Tracking, Absence, Payroll, and Performance Management across a large enterprise.
- Proven ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple competing projects and requests.
- Design thinking, problem solving, root cause analysis in solution building.
- Ability to communicate and break down complex topics to partners and customers outside of Technology.
- Ability to distinguish user requests from important customer challenges and prioritize accordingly.
- Strong understanding of software lifecycle development (SDLC) methodologies.
- Working understanding of data privacy and other regulatory requirements.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.