Location: Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
The Data Product Engineering org is an essential part of Expedia Group (EG), delivering a rich set of data products to empower both internal and external customers to make data-driven decisions for improving traveler experience, partner performance and marketplace competitiveness. This is a very diverse, talented, dedicated and fun-loving team spanning across 5 countries, all working toward our common goals of solving data problems for our customers.
As a senior engineering leader, your focus is to help define and drive the long-term technical vision and strategies of our data products.
What you’ll do:
- Envision how our data technology stack evolves to support business outcomes.
- Provide thought leadership in application of data engineering principles to provide innovative solutions adding business value and direction for the entire company.
- Communicate the north star vision, strategies, methods, and techniques with stakeholders across all levels of the organization, including executives and the board.
- Oversee the implementation of company-wide data initiatives to improve data quality and reliability, ensure compliance, and reduce costs.
- Evangelize the adoption of best practices and recommended toolings, and foster a data-driven decision-making culture through data democratization.
- Write and present innovative work in both internal and external forums to strengthen EG’s technical brand.
- Champion and mentor solution design trends and changes across all of EG considering latest advancements in software engineering (specifically related to data engineering, cloud data platforms, data models, enterprise information management, business intelligence and data science).
- Contribute to cross-functional team development by sharing expert knowledge and skills and mentors' other engineers (IC I, II, III, Sr IC, Principle IC).
- Build a network with technology organizations outside of EG to grow an EG tech brand and bring insights back into the organization.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Equivalent Experience; Technical degree or relevant experience is applicable.
- 12+ years of experience in designing, building, and operating large-scale data systems.
- Successful experience in initiating and driving across-org data initiatives to the finish line.
- Track record of taking data products from ideas to delivering value to customers production and scaling with the business.
- Deep expertise in data access patterns, streaming technology, data validation, data modeling, data performance, cost optimization.
- Hands-on knowledge on BI tools, modern OLAP engines such as Presto, Clickhouse, Druid, Pinot, or batch & real-time data processing frameworks such as Hive, Spark, Flink, etc.
- Experienced in making regular contributions to the data engineering community through blog posts, tech talks, etc.
- Made choices across the enterprise business to define data technologies and languages best practices and standards.
- Established standards for operational excellence and code quality at an organization level.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.