Hardware Engineering Manager - Largo, FL
Location: Largo, Florida
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
6190 118th Ave N
Largo, FL 33763
The Hardware Engineering Manager is a management professional with a technical background and strong project management skills. This is a key leadership role within the company with responsibility to work with the engineering staff and Director of Engineering to deliver new products and sustain existing products sold into the power industry. In this role, the individual will be responsible for all aspects of hardware engineering including: New Product Development, Modification of Existing Designs, Sustaining Engineering, and Product Validation.
Beckwith Electric has a long-standing reputation of providing industry leading power system control products. These highly configurable products execute multifaceted embedded firmware running on state-of-the-art embedded hardware designed on advanced printed circuit board assemblies which are integrated into both standard and customer specific metal and Lexan enclosures.
An import responsibility of this role is to ensure that Beckwith Electric electronics and hardware remain as industry leading by delivering on the technology roadmaps established by the company. The Hardware Engineering Manager is responsible for assembling a world-class engineering team and realizing the company’s future technology and product goals.
Beckwith Electric embraces a design for 6-sigma stage gate development process. At times, the Hardware Engineering Manager may be called upon to lead a multidisciplinary engineering team to realize a technology option into an architecture and/or product design.
When acting as a project engineering, the Hardware Engineering Manager will work directly with the engineering leadership and program management to prepare budgets/schedules (hours and material cost), identify project staffing requirements, and either lead or assist with managing the project deliverables.
To ensure the company remains forward-looking, the Hardware Engineering Manager will work closely with the engineering leadership to identify long-term staffing and capital expenditures to realize the company’s technology and product road maps.
New Product Development
The ideal candidate will take an active role leading the hardware engineering group to provide solutions within the power equipment industry. This person is an essential member of the engineering management team, and will play a very important role in the strategic growth and tactical execution of the company.
The person in this role must be highly skilled with both analog and digital design, with a proven record of delivering results. They must be a master of working engineering needs and requirements from marketing corporate objectives and goals. This individual must be comfortable dealing with the conflicting demands of market pressure and time to market, with technical quality and completeness. The Hardware Engineering Manager must be comfortable representing technical content at all levels of the organization, as well as with customers, in a way that is easily understood.
The Hardware Engineering Manager must be capable of building a world-class team to develop products on the company Product Road Map and research technologies on the company Technology Road Map.
Beckwith Electric has a long standing reputation of providing reliable products which long product life cycles. An important responsibility of this position is to ensure that developed products are relevant in the marketplace for as long as possible. To support this, the Hardware Engineering Manager will work directly with Operations for cost reduction and obsolete part replacement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage all Hardware Engineering functions
- Analyze technology trends, human resource needs, and market demands to organize and prioritize projects
- Maintain proper staffing levels and training to support growth of the company
- Create and maintain a culture of “get it right the first time”
- Provide progress reports for all projects and ensures timely and accurate reporting
- Provide analysis with ongoing technical and application training
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with others
- Rigorously adhere to engineering processes during all aspects of the design phase
- Mentor and train more junior engineering staff
- Help managers establish and maintain a high bar for recruiting top technical talent
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of current and novel related technologies, including competitive and industry disruptive technologies
- Manage, enhance, and advance the company’s core technology portfolio in support of company goals and objectives
New Product Development
- Management of the new product development process
- Be an active participant in all project design reviews
- Development of new products in support of company goals and objectives
- Drive the development of new products that win in the marketplace and improve company financial performance
- Direct department activities to design new products and modify existing designs while working closely with all departments within the company
- Lead and oversee all new product development activities through the product development process, including Program Definition, Concept Development, Design, Validation, and Product introduction to manufacturing and launch
- Confer with engineering management, supply chain, quality, manufacturing sales, customer support, and marketing to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and manufacturability of new and existing products
- Modification of existing products in support of company goals and objectives
- Providing support for sustaining engineering activities of released products
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of all Beckwith Electric products
- Interface with external customers as required to support company goals and objectives
- Promote, identify, and implement opportunities for continuous improvement through constant assessment of employee and process effectiveness
- Participate and contribute in the strategic planning process by developing long and short term objectives to achieve the company mission and vision
Skills and Experience
Required EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree in Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics, M.S. or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 10 years experience in an embedded electronic product development environment
- Extensive experience with analog hardware development
- Extensive experience with digital hardware development
- Experience with programmable logic (FPGA/CPLD) design and implementation
- Experience with a stage gate development process
- Familiarity with embedded firmware development
- Familiarity with mechanical design
- Excellent design, analytical, and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent working knowledge of high-tech electronic and embedded system design
- Excellent knowledge of design methods, verification, and validation
- Demonstrated mastery of “The Scientific Process”
- Demonstrated ability to solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- The ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, etc. forms and move projects to completion
- The ability to work with and without direct supervision
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, and quickly adjust in a rapidly changing environment
- Team player, customer advocate, and innovative problem solver
Desired EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- M.S. in Engineering or MBA
- Experience within the power generation and/or distribution industry
- Experience with mechanical design
- Experience with FPGA or similar programmable logic
- Experience with Analog Devices Blackfin DSP
- Experience with process mapping and design
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.