Systems Integration Test Engineer - Principal
Location: Solon, Ohio, St. Louis, Missouri
Job Type: Not Specified
As a Principal System Integration Test Engineer, you will leverage your experience and deep knowledge of industry best practices to provide technical leadership on a team charged with verifying compatibility between our RF-based Electric Smart Meter products and multiple software applications.
In this role, you will be responsible for defining the overall test approach for a Software or Firmware release, and then break down that plan into executable test suites to ensure all system level requirements are adequately tested prior to release.
Once test cases are created, you will act as a SME to support the Automation team as they automate your manual test cases and add them to our robust automation suite. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring test cases have sufficient detail, are properly implemented, and deliver consistent, reliable results. Once implemented, you will help oversee the successful execution of the automated tests –analyzing results and troubleshooting any failed tests.
As a Principal Engineer, you will act as a senior advisor to cross-functional product development teams through all phases of development – helping to ensure our HW and SW offerings are testable, compatible, and meet all functional, system, and marketing requirements. You will also be called upon to work with Management and Senior Stakeholders to deliver honest assessments of product quality and risk.
Finally, as a Principal Engineer, you will identify new tools and define new processes with an eye toward improving the effectiveness of our test efforts and/or reducing time-to-market while maintaining a high level of product quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership on a team of 6 to 8 people.
- Provide cost and time estimates to development teams, managers, and senior stakeholders.
- Design and execute tests to verify system level requirements in Aclara software and hardware products.
- Design, construct, and configure test stands consisting of energized electrical components interfacing with cloud-based servers.
- Prepare test cases for the automation team and review/verify the resulting automation
- Author internal facing test reports and related documentation.
- Generate and monitor metrics to measure the effectiveness of the engineering test process.
- Coordinate test activities with project engineers, development personnel, and system engineers - including estimations and tracking to a schedule.
- Work within tiger teams to diagnose, reproduce, and troubleshoot issues encountered in the field.
- Help improve and maintain testing methods, processes, procedures, and standards.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Electrical Engineering degree or related technical discipline.
- Must be comfortable working in a lab with energized electrical devices.
- Minimum of 7 years combined testing experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience testing custom hardware/firmware in a SIT or functional test environment.
- Minimum of 1 year of test automation experience.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Service and teamwork orientation.
- Ability to work with aggressive schedules to release product on time.
- Prior experience working within an engineering environment.
- Prior experience in a technical or team leadership role
- Prior test automation experience with Python, Ruby, PowerShell, or C#
- Prior experience with power distribution or electrical metering.
- Prior experience in the Utility industry
- Prior experience testing RF devices
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.