Sr. Mechanical Automation Engineer - Aiken, SC
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
Hubbell Power Systems
1850 Richland Avenue East
Aiken, SC 29803
Are you a mechanical engineer or project manager at an integrator and tired of traveling? Would you like to imagine a machine, build it, and see the impact? Do you see automation opportunities where others see problems? As a Mechanical Automation Engineer in the Hubbell Aiken manufacturing facility, you will be utilizing your expertise in conceptualizing, designing, building, and integrating automation equipment to meet or exceed plant improvement goals. Automation opportunities exist for machine tending, assembly, part feeding, packaging, conveying, and palletizing. Become the subject matter expert for your projects and support the manufacturing engineers with later troubleshooting and improvements. Evaluate and implement robotic (Fanuc) or other fixed, programmable, or flexible automation solutions to replace current manual operations and processes. Evaluate mechanical designs submitted by vendors as well as perform in-house mechanical design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify cost-saving projects varying in scope from $20k to $2m and follow projects through from conception to implementation.
- Manage multiple projects in varying stages of development.
- Consult with product design and manufacturing engineers to determine equipment requirements and specifications.
- Lead collaborative discussions between project stakeholders and key machine builders to determine automation capabilities and deliverables.
- Generate a Statement of Work (SOW) that identifies and quantifies all specifications of the product and process requirements for internal or external machine builders.
- Conduct design reviews and risk analysis with internal or external vendors.
- Generate formal cost justification of proposed projects including payback and ROI to attain project funding.
- Facilitate regular project reviews to keep projects on track and solve problems as they arise.
- Assist with machine documentation and training at start-up.
- Support existing automation technology with component and process upgrades.
- Support the Manufacturing Engineering Teams as an automation subject matter expert.
Skills and Experience
Minimum BS degree in mechanical engineering/automation engineering.
- Experienced in the design of customized automation equipment.
- Ability to achieve desired company goals with minimal supervision.
- Solid modeling experience with Autocad Inventor or SolidWorks, including FEA.
- Experience working for a Systems Integrator is a plus.
- Exceptional project management skills in managing project timelines, interaction with machine builders and contractors, and implementing automation equipment into the plant.
- Experience working in or supporting Manufacturing Facilities on day to day basis.
- Experience with major vendors of automation components and equipment and the selection of the best components for particular tasks, including robotics, motion control, vision, and sensing.
- 5+ years experience with Fanuc (preferred) or similar robot selection and implementation. Robot programming experience is a plus.
- Experience in pneumatic and hydraulic system design and generation of schematics and BOMs is a plus.
- Working knowledge of various fabrication methods including, machining and welding. Candidate does not need to be proficient in these skills but must be aware of the limitations and considerations these processes impose on mechanical design.
- Ability to troubleshoot PLC code is a plus. These skills are primarily desired to diagnose and fix mechanical issues, but the ability to create solid working programs from scratch or modify existing programs as needed is an additional plus.
- Experience sizing and specifying machine control system components, such as motors, pneumatic and hydraulic components and systems, and inspection equipment are highly desirable.
- Superb communication and organizational skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, show initiative, and work in a fast-paced environment.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.