Hardware Engineering Intern (Summer 2023) - Portsmouth, NH
Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
We are on a journey, with our electric, gas and water utility partners, to supply smart infrastructure solutions to enable automation and control of their distribution networks. Our cloud native solutions are foundation to more resilient, efficient and ultimately modern grid and ensure security, stability and operational efficiency across all three commodities: electric, water and gas.
At Aclara Technologies LLC, a division of Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS), we help utilities manage change, seek new approaches, and harness data and new technologies to supply more efficient and reliable services to their customers. As an end-to-end, smart infrastructure solutions (SIS) partner we couple innovative technology with data-driven solutions to predict, plan and respond to system conditions across electric, gas or water distribution networks. We offer a comprehensive suite of solutions comprised of meters and edge devices, advanced metering infrastructure (AMI), cloud native and meter data management solutions. We also offer advanced grid monitoring and grid analytics, asset management and field project management and installation solution, and provision of labor with a single point of accountability to utilities. Our cloud native industrial IoT and predictive analytics solutions give our customers actionable insights with real-time visibility of their distribution networks to optimize operations and engage with their consumers to promote energy efficiency and conservation.
Join us on this journey in providing smart infrastructure solutions and helping our customers deal with today’s and tomorrow’s complex challenges. (See more at www.Aclara.com)
Hardware Intern will assist with Electronic hardware design and development activities associated with high volume electronic products associated with the Smart Meter industry.
The Hubbell Summer Internship Program is a 10 to 12-week program providing students the opportunity to gain corporate experience, learn about all aspects of our business, and prepare students with the kind of experience needed to have a rewarding career at Hubbell.
Benefits of a Hubbell Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer presentation to the local management team
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop hardware from concept to production launch including design documentation, participating in design reviews, coding, code reviews, unit testing
- Develop and implement strategy to validate resulting systems against requirements. Thus, the hardware design and development responsibilities include the development and implementation of design verification test procedures.
- Document and resolve defects.
- Develop hardware and software test tools as needed.
- Ensure the overall quality of the hardware incorporated in the system, its performance against requirements, and its on-schedule delivery.
- Ensure designs are to exceed requirements of governing agencies (i.e., FCC and UL) and must be capable of listing with these agencies where applicable.
- Work in a team environment and work with others to achieve the best possible end-product from all functional viewpoints.
- Capture and direct corrective actions in response to field complaints and supply issues.
Skills and Experience
- Competent working with Microsoft Office and other related software utilizing a Windows platform
- Beginners background in analog and digital design and development.
- Beginners understanding of hardware interfaces, E-field sensors, current sensors and low power battery design.
- Experience with schematic capture tools like OrCad, Altium, Ealge and simulation tools such as LTspice and Electronic Workbench.
- Working understanding of Design Verification Testing at the circuit level.
- Experience with circuit bring-up and solid troubleshooting methodologies.
- Basic understanding of firmware interfaces.
- Can-Do attitude with an ability to accept complete project responsibility.
- Motivated self-starter and independent decision-making based on good judgment.
- Innovative and creative approach to problem-solving.
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.