Mechanical Engineering Intern (Summer 2023) - Portsmouth, NH
Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
We are on a journey, with our electric, gas and water utility partners, to supply smart infrastructure solutions to enable automation and control of their distribution networks. Our cloud native solutions are foundation to more resilient, efficient and ultimately modern grid and ensure security, stability and operational efficiency across all three commodities: electric, water and gas.
At Aclara Technologies LLC, a division of Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS), we help utilities manage change, seek new approaches, and harness data and new technologies to supply more efficient and reliable services to their customers. As an end-to-end, smart infrastructure solutions (SIS) partner we couple innovative technology with data-driven solutions to predict, plan and respond to system conditions across electric, gas or water distribution networks. We offer a comprehensive suite of solutions comprised of meters and edge devices, advanced metering infrastructure (AMI), cloud native and meter data management solutions. We also offer advanced grid monitoring and grid analytics, asset management and field project management and installation solution, and provision of labor with a single point of accountability to utilities. Our cloud native industrial IoT and predictive analytics solutions give our customers actionable insights with real-time visibility of their distribution networks to optimize operations and engage with their consumers to promote energy efficiency and conservation.
Join us on this journey in providing smart infrastructure solutions and helping our customers deal with today’s and tomorrow’s complex challenges. (See more at www.Aclara.com)
Responsible for the mechanical design and development activities associated with high volume electronic products associated with the Smart Meter industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Hardware will include specialized electronic packages, circuit board assemblies, enclosures for ANSI meters and other related products
- Perform mechanical engineering duties (3D Layout, Light Fabrication and Assembly, testing and production support) as assigned
- Assist in component fabrication and testing
- Work with Mechanical engineers to support any design activities
- Handle part design independently to completion
- Work with Tooling vendors to complete Design For Manufacturing
- Write test protocols and perform the product testing as required
- Responsible to run analytical tools based on requirement
- Ensure designs are to exceed requirements of governing agencies (i.e., FCC and UL) and must be capable of listing with these agencies where applicable.
- Work productively both individually or as part of a team
Skills and Experience
- Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree program in Mechanical Engineering with an Accredited College or University
- Candidates should possess strong engineering and computer skills with the ability to learn new systems. Experience using 3D Cad software like Solidworks is a plus.
- Strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles, materials, mechanics, and heat transfer is a must
- Skill -- Knowledge of the practical application of mechanical engineering science and technology
- Creativity and innovation essential to meet customer requirements and to improve performance, quality and cost
- Work under the direction of a lead Engineer or Engineering Manager
- Gain trouble shooting techniques and solve defined engineering problems under guidance
- Produce clear and concise verbal and written communication, test report
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.