Software Development Engineering Intern (Summer 2023) - Avon, CT
Location: Avon, Connecticut
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell engineering is finding new ways to energize, enlighten, and empower our world! With expertise in IoT, cybersecurity, cloud computing, embedded development, wireless communications, and more, we accelerate and enhance Hubbell products and bring innovation into the marketplace. Our work is collaborative, as we partner with all of Hubbell’s global divisions to create the next generation of technical solutions in fields like smart grid, green power, lighting control, electrical safety, communications, and more.
Join our innovative and cutting-edge engineering team to solve challenging problems and help make change in electrical products and utility. If you are committed to environmentally friendly projects, security, safety, and advancing new approaches in technology, then Hubbell engineering is the place where you can utilize your talents as a creative engineer and grow your technical skills and assets. Come join us and build an exciting career that makes a difference!
The Hubbell Summer Internship Program is a 10- to 12-week program providing students the opportunity to gain corporate experience, learn about all aspects of our business, and prepare students with the kind of experience needed to have a rewarding career at Hubbell.
The Software Development Engineering Intern position offers a variety of opportunities to learn about software development. You will gain real world experience as you are embedded as a team member of an Agile development team. Candidates for this role should be enthusiastic about tackling new problems and learning about the full solution stack. Students with interest in these areas are encouraged to apply for the Software Development Engineer Internship.
Engineering Interns will typically support one or more experienced engineers in performance of assignments, spend time shadowing actual operations, and have unique assignments that support larger projects as well as the day-to-day operations of the engineering department. Interns may perform and/or participate in additional activities/events which will help them build a strong network within the Hubbell community.
Benefits of a Hubbell Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Participate in comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer presentation to the local management team
Duties and Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities will vary by Hubbell business location, but may include the following:
- Gained knowledge of the industry as it pertains to the Hubbell business location
- Experience in planning and organizational skillsEngineering research and technical assistance to engineers
- Review current engineering program activities to make recommendations for changes and improvements Perform tests to assure quality control
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Detailed roles and responsibilities will be outlined dependent on business Group, location and the project outlined
Skills and Experience
Student should meet the following:
- Actively enrolled in an accredited university working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering (e.g. Software, Computer, Electrical, or Computer Science)
- Possess a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Rising sophomore / junior / senior / graduate student for this position
- Strong computer skills with preferred experience using Software development tools (Microsoft Visual Studio, etc.)
- Interest and ability to learn other programming languages, frameworks, and software development domains as needed.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN)
- Familiarity with Object Oriented Design
- Familiarity with Agile software development methods and associated productivity tools (e.g. Azure DevOps).
- Interest in designing and implementing solutions using public cloud services (e.g. Azure Services, AWS).
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Additionally, applicants will also possess these highly desired attributes:
- Excellent communication skills
- Adept at time management
- Adaptability to assigned tasks
- Critical thinking skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Collaborative with others
- Skilled at research and analysis
- Takes Initiative
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.