IT Intern (Summer 2023) - Somersworth, NH
Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
The Hubbell Summer Internship Program is a 12-week program providing students the opportunity to gain corporate experience, learn about all aspects of our business, and prepare students with the kind of experience needed to have a rewarding career at Hubbell.
Benefits of a Hubbell Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer presentation to the local management team
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated intern to join our team and help enhance our order entry process and product configurator for direct customer use. The intern will work closely with our corporate team to develop user-centric, intuitive, and comprehensive enhancements that align with the Hubbell branding design standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop help modules for our web-based product configurator to help users understand why questions are being asked, provide a visual representation of features, and highlight common responses.
- Generate errors and warning within the tools so users understand what options are available and why certain options are not.
- Explore optimizing our product request forms into a web-based product request tool.
- Interview stakeholders within the process to understand user requirements.
- Generate a proposal using flow diagrams, storyboards, site maps, and other tools as needed to convey the proposal.
- Develop a portal for capturing and controlling customer requirements.
- Identify current paper trails and reporting needs and develop a strategy for digitization.
- Work with key stakeholders to refine strategy and implementation plan.
- Complete specific stages of the design process.
- Develop prototypes of a project concept.
- Learn how to conduct user interviews both locally and remotely.
- Learn how to apply knowledge of an integrated user interface theory into practice.
Skills and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in a related field of study such as human-computer interaction, user experience design, or product development.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with web development and prototyping tools is a plus.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.