IT Intern (Summer 2023) - Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, South Carolina, Shelton, Connecticut
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Interns can be located in Shelton, CT , Greenville, SC, St. Louis, MO or other Hubbell locations.
The Hubbell Summer Internship Program is a 12-week program providing students the opportunity to gain corporate experience, learn about all aspects of our business, and prepare students with the kind of experience needed to have a rewarding career at Hubbell.
The Information Technology (IT) Intern position offers a variety of opportunities including supporting the organization in the development and implementation of our Information Technology initiatives at the time.
IT Interns will typically support one or more experienced IT teams in performance of projects and have unique assignments that support larger projects as well as the day-to-day operations of the IT department. Interns may perform and/or participate in additional activities/events which will help them build a strong network within the Hubbell community.
Benefits of a Hubbell Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer presentation to the local management team
IT INTERNSHIP FOCUS AREAS:
Vulnerability Management: support overall device vulnerability remediation across the enterprise including device patching, vulnerability tracking, and development of remediation plans for existing and near end-of-life (EOL) systems. Also, gain valuable PM experience by managing and coordinating application migrations from on-prem to cloud hosting.
Data Analytics: participate as a member of Hubbell’s data analytics team focused on data integration mapping, PowerBI development, and data governance support activities.
IT Operations: opportunities include supporting Hubbell’s application management process including support process definition, key metric development and tracking, and technical management of application inventory management system.
Project Management: have the opportunity to support Hubbell’s IT Program Management Office focused on program portfolio management and support various IT project management activities.
Project Scrum Master: be a part of an Agile IT project to support the overall Agile processes such as daily scrum master support, backlog management, key metric reporting, etc.
Application Developer: be a part of one of our development teams focused on delivering enterprise applications including Salesforce.com, SAP, eCommerce solutions, and general well application development.
IT Infrastructure: opportunities include supporting server operations, application migrations to the cloud, network operations and projects, VOIP telephony migrations, and IT service desk software optimization and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Roles and Responsibilities will vary by Hubbell business location and intern assignment, but may include the following:
- Application development tasks such as web development, software configuration, and application change implementation.
- Provide overall project management support for a specific project or program including running daily team meetings, development of project plans, management of project budget, solution discovery, etc.
- Technical IT infrastructure tasks such as configuration of systems, programming network equipment, and development of automation solutions for system delivery.
- Gained knowledge of the industry as it pertains to the Hubbell business location
- Review current IT program activities to make recommendations for changes/improvement opportunities
- Detailed roles and responsibilities will be outlined dependent on business Group, location and the project outlined
- Expectations: The intern will be expected to work full-time at 40 hours/week and will be compensated on an hourly basis.
Skills and Experience
- Student must be enrolled in an accredited university working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science (e.g. Business Computer Technology, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering or related degree)
- Minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite is desired
- Microsoft Excel: Manipulation of data; transferring data; development of charts and tables
- Microsoft Word: Entering and formatting text; inserting charts, tables and other visuals
- Microsoft PowerPoint: Creating and editing slides; inserting text, charts, tables and visuals
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with industry standard solutions across IT disciplines such as Cisco networking solutions, SQL database technologies, full stack web development frameworks, etc.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.