Systems Engineering Manager
Location: Boonton, New Jersey
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HUS is also deeply engaged in product solutions for the Utility Communications and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) space and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HUS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HUS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas, and water industries.
The Systems Engineering Manager manages and provides leadership to the systems engineering group consisting of engineers at multiple sites, while also serving as a hands-on systems design engineer. Leads and executes upon full system design and development needs for the Engineered to Order (ETO) customer orders for the Distribution and Substation Automation product lines.
Substation products include Teleprotection and Communications systems consisting of power line carrier, audio tone/digital telemetery, protective relaying, multiplexer, and packet-based communications networks systems.
Distribution Automation products include Pole and Pad Mount Capacitor Banks, Three-Phase Reclosers, and Load Break Switches.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as a cross functional leader to manage the systems engineering work-flow to ensure timely completion of designs to meet production shipment needs.
- Reviews and approves Customer Purchase Orders for technical and commercial correctness
- Establish liaison with customer and provide technical support to Marketing and Sales Engineers to win new business
- Selects and specifies all mechanical, electric/electronic devices, and their interconnection, and software which are necessary to deliver systems after acceptance of customer purchase orders.
- Modify and/or develop system drawings for manufacturing and customer review including bill of materials, logic diagrams, 3D models, schematics, outline drawings, and other documentation as required
- Modify and/or create procedures, systems descriptions, systems manuals, instruction guides, operating procedures, calibration instructions, troubleshooting guides, programming manuals, and software documentation
- Provide manufacturing floor support to systems fabrication and test areas as required
- Participate in source inspections if required
- Assist Customer Service and Applications engineers in preparation of complex sales orders
- Coordinate all technical aspects of ETO order processing and expedite it through the entire process
- Act as project manager for each ETO order to ensure timely execution from order receipt, through the production process, and onto product shipment
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s or higher-level degree in Electrical Engineering or Technical related field of study
- Minimum 5 years of experience in an electronics manufacturing environment
- Minimum 4 years of experience in managing an engineering team
- Proficient in AutoCAD, OrCAD, Solid Works, and MS Office Products including Visio
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in designing enclosures for the power distribution industry
- Experience in electrical design for the power utility industry including system integration
- Experience in pad and pole-mount capacitor bank assemblies, pad and pole-mount primary metering units, multi-connection secondary enclosures.
- Engineering change management experience
- In depth knowledge of digital logic circuits
- In depth knowledge of distribution switchgear and related components is a plus
- In depth knowledge of power line carrier, tele-protection, telemetry, protective relaying, multiplexing, and packet-based networking is a plus
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.