Technical Documents Specialist - Largo, FL
Location: Largo, Florida
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
Hubbell Power Systems
6190 118th Ave N
Largo, FL 33773
The Technical Documentation Specialist develops and maintains product literature and user documentation using the Adobe Creative Suite tools for PDF publishing. This position works closely with engineering, product managers and other subject matter experts to deliver effective user documentation for new and existing products, that is accurate, precise, consistent, and visually well-designed. The individual assists the Department Supervisor in management, planning, and execution of documentation deliverables within the 6-sigma stage gate development process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain technical documentation, which includes Product Specifications, Instruction Books, Quick Start Guides, Application Guides, Technical Papers, etc. Essential responsibilities include document formatting, ensuring that the Company style is consistent in all material, final edits are complete, and documents are error-free.
- Adhere to Literature Change procedure as defined in the Technical Writing Level III Quality process.
- Layout document text and graphics in Adobe InDesign, using approved company styles, auto-numbering, cross-references, links, and long document features.
- Create and/or modify engineering diagrams and graphics using vector illustration software, including Adobe Illustrator and MS Visio.
- Prepare PDF files for publication: create and verify bookmarks, page labels, hyperlinks, and company PDF format.
- Manage multiple projects, monitor progress and quality, and ensure schedule requirements are met.
- Assist Technical Writing supervisor in management of the Technical Writing department processes and procedures. Evaluate workflow processes for continuous improvement and efficiency.
- Write and maintain detailed department process documents for internal knowledgebase and training purposes. Update these procedures as new methods/software are integrated.
- Continual maintenance and organization of the Literature Server, which encompasses all currently active job folders and their associated resources. Use Digital Asset Management practices to ensure that project graphics and links are up to date and easily accessible.
- Learn technical/scientific terms to assist in proofreading text for consistency and accuracy.
- Comply with all work rules, including but not limited to, the Company's safety and attendance policies.
Skills and Experience
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the development of technical publications.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in technical communications and publishing, preferably for the electric power industry.
- Expert level of knowledge of Adobe InDesign (or FrameMaker): styles, links, automation, cross-referencing, conditional text, text variables, InCopy workflow.
- Expert level of knowledge of Acrobat Professional: shared reviews, bookmarks, hyperlinks, forms, scripts.
- Proficiency with vector illustration programs: Adobe Illustrator, MS Visio.
- Ability to troubleshoot InDesign and Acrobat issues.
- High level of knowledge of the Microsoft Oﬃce 365 suite of products.
- Ability to coordinate multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Create and maintain an attitude and culture of excellence and project ownership.
- Ability to work in an independent manner utilizing sound judgment to make decisions.
- Must have solid command of the English language and its proper use in customer-oriented, technical documentation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering / technology related discipline.
- Experience in an electrical engineering environment.
- Experience in the stage gate development process.
- Certification in technical communication.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.