Director of Accounting Operations and Controls
Location: Shelton, Connecticut
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
We are looking for a self-motivated and experienced Director of Accounting Operations and Internal Controls to join our Corporate Controller’s team. This is an important role within the Controller’s team that will focus on the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting, financial reporting, and internal control environment of Hubbell’s segments. In this role the Director of Accounting Operations and Internal Controls will work closely with the Segment controllers, business unit controllers to assess the effectiveness of the accounting operations, and design and implement best practices focused on automation, standardization, and the effectiveness of controls. We also expect this role to be directly involved with supporting the Company’s M&A activities, including supporting the Segment teams with diligence, purchase accounting, controls and integration of acquired companies. This role will be required to interact with functional partners within the manufacturing operations, IT, shared services, legal, FP&A, and engineering to achieve these objectives. It will also interact with internal and external audit teams and the Corporate Controller’s team. This role will also require direct involvement in the business unit accounting operations in certain cases to achieve these objectives.
This position will report to the Assistant Corporate Controller.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct monthly reviews and audit pre-reviews of key controls; including in the Blackline platform, monitoring key control tasks, Journals and account reconciliations for completeness, accuracy and appropriate supporting documentation.
- Evaluation of key controls and operational accounting process, including
- Review and assess the design of inventory controls, including the process and execution of annual physical inventories with contract manufacturing partners.
- Review and assess the design of controls around complex revenue contracts, including participating in quarterly project review meetings with operations, sales and accounting teams.
- Review of closing processes and identification of opportunities to improve the accuracy and timeliness of closing activities.
- Coordinator of activities and analysis between the Segment and Corporate Controllers team, for example Controllership reviews, and managing technical matters.
- Assist the Segment accounting team in assessing control deficiencies and documenting any out of period adjustments including leading the SAB99 process.
- Assist the BU with the implementation of SAP, including reviewing the documentation of key business process controls.
- Support M&A activities for the Segment, including assistance with diligence, pre-close preparation, purchase accounting and acquisition controls and certain elements of integration.
- Performing closing tasks for limited periods of time and as necessary to support the Segment business unit close and control process.
Skills and Experience
- Experience executing a business unit close in a manufacturing environment; identifying and proper prioritization of key closing tasks and review controls, account reconciliations, and ensuring effective operation of key SOX controls
- Deep knowledge of accounting and controls around manufacturing operations at a business unit-level including
- Inventory accounting and controls; standard costing practices, LIFO reserves, capitalized variances, process and controls around physical inventories and cycle count programs; receiving cut off controls, provisions for E&O.
- Revenue accounting and controls; shipping cut-off, revenue recognition for goods and services
- Experience managing SOX controls at a business unit level; proper design, operating effectiveness, support for testing and driving remediation activities
- Partnering with Corporate teams to drive proper assessment of control deficiencies, including identification and materiality conclusions for out of period items and properly categorizing control deficiencies.
- Understanding of technical U.S. GAAP concepts applicable to the business unit; ASC 606 revenue recognition, inventory valuation, capitalized software
- Strong communication skills, ability to distill and summarize complex operating, accounting and control matters for Segment and Corporate leadership.
- A combination of Big 4 and several years of public company experience as a business unit controller in a manufacturing environment
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.