Supply Chain Associate Product Engineer - Leeds, AL
Location: Leeds, Alabama
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
The Supply Chain Associate Product Engineer will support designated product line in the areas of product development, product line maintenance, production release, production support, and product applications.
This position will require working with a variety of business departments including Marketing, Sourcing Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Engineering, New Product Engineering, Customer Service, Field Sales, and Management. This mid-term focus of this role will be specifically on design engineering for purchased parts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Finished good focus area is medium and high voltage switchgear and fuses
- Design for manufacturing is focused primarily on metal castings, stampings, and other fabricated parts but may also include plastic and rubber injection, fiberglass pultrusion, electrical components, wiring harnesses, and other common material processes
- Creating, updating, and reviewing design content requirements for sourcing initiatives including but not limited to 3D models and associated drawings, technical specifications, reliability calculations, finite element analysis, tolerance stack up, DFMEA, DFMA, and test reports
- Create and manage engineering changes for associated design content
- Identifying cost reductions for parts and assemblies
- Review of customer specifications and requirements to generate design requirements
- Participate in or lead lean initiatives related to product line development, support, and maintenance
- Perform or oversee mechanical, environmental, and electrical testing
- Create or facilitate the creation of prototypes for new and existing designs
- Provide technical assistance to Marketing, Customer Service, Field Sales and Customers in the areas of product performance, applications, and maintenance
- Assist in product training activities that may involve internal staffing or customer training events
- Very limited travel requirements involving off-site testing of products, marketing support, field review of product applications or training activities
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required (Mechanical Engineering preferred, physics or mathematics may be considered with relevant experience)
- 3D CAD knowledge and Microsoft Office proficiencies
- 3 + years’ experience in design in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to travel on business related trips (limited travel needs)
- Ability to walk around the manufacturing shop floor and lift 50 pounds as needed (part inspection, part fit check, product testing, etc.)
- Experience in medium and high voltage switchgear
- Experience with model-based definition
- 3 years’ experience with Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.