Mechanical Engineering Intern (Summer 2024) - Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
The Rapid Prototyping Intern position offers a variety of learning opportunities including helping with basic engineering tasks related to design and Mechanical engineering. Opportunities can include gaining hands-on experience with rapid prototyping equipment and tools including 3D CAD design packages and 3D printing equipment, or CNC machine tools and more.
Rapid Prototyping Interns will typically support one or more experienced engineers in performance of assignments, spend time shadowing actual operations, and have unique assignments that support larger projects as well as the day-to-day operations of the engineering department. Interns will participate in additional activities and events which will help them build a strong network within the Hubbell community. If you are committed to environmentally friendly projects, security, safety, and advancing new approaches in technology, then Hubbell engineering is the place for you. Join our intern team to solve challenging problems and help make change in electrical products and utility.
Duties and Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities will vary by Hubbell business location, but may include the following:
- Perform engineering research and provide technical assistance to engineers
- Review current engineering program activities to make recommendations for changes/improvement
- Assist in performing tests to assure product quality
- Research and experiment with improving the transparency of 3D printed parts (FDM) using various materials or post-processing techniques.
- Explore creating metal 3D printed parts via FDM sintering techniques.
- Investigate techniques to make watertight or airtight 3D FDM prints by post-processing techniques.
- Setup of small CNC equipment such as a metalworking mill or lathe.
- Expectations: The intern will be expected to work full-time at 40 hours/week and will be compensated on an hourly basis.
Skills and Experience
- Actively enrolled in an accredited university working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering (e.g. ME, EE, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science)
- Possess a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Rising Senior or Graduate Student for this position
- Prior experience with 3D printing and/or 3D printing materials preferred
- Experience with CNC equipment or CNC programming is a plus.
- Strong computer skills with preferred experience using 3D CAD software tools
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.