Technical Writer - Largo, FL
Location: Largo, Florida
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
Hubbell Power Systems
6190 118th Ave N
Largo, FL 33773
The Technical Writer position requires an innovative and detail oriented professional with knowledge of Electric Power Systems Engineering. Duties include writing, re-writing, and/or editing technical documents such as user manuals, specifications, and related technical publications for Beckwith Electric's next generation of Control and Protection systems for advanced power distribution grids. The Technical Writer works with Subject Matter Experts to incorporate new firmware, software and hardware features into user documentation. Proofread, edit and format documents, ensuring that Company style is consistent in all material, final edits are complete, and documents are free from errors. Create and review engineering diagrams for documentation using illustration software, including Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Visio. The successful candidate will also have familiarity with DTP software, particularly Adobe InDesign and Acrobat Professional. Ensures standard documentation methods are followed by staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Participate in Integrated Product Team meetings for product release scheduling.
- Create new user documentation, update existing literature, and coordinate SME reviews.
- Review and proof internal Engineering specifications.
- Oversee preparation of illustrative materials, selecting mechanical drawings, electrical diagrams, and charts that will best convey complex information to the user.
- Verify documentation through hands-on use of controls/relays and product software.
- Use proper electrical engineering technical/scientific terms, proofread text for accuracy.
- Evaluate workflow processes to improve efficiency.
- Comply with all work rules, including but not limited to, the Company's safety and attendance policies.
- Provides guidance on writing very complex technical documentations
- Advise with Engineering senior management on matters regarding exchange of Beckwith product information, formatting of technical papers
- Provide roadmap on advances of desktop publish software and electronic media.
Skills and Experience
Skills and Experience
- Experience writing technical content for user manuals, and related technical publications that describe the operation, setup, and installation of highly sophisticated electronic controls/relays, and the associated product software.
- Ability to clearly and simply describe technical products and procedures, following established company style and format, using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Demonstrable experience producing literature for power industry controls and relays.
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign (styles, links, automation, cross-referencing, long document features) and Acrobat Professional
- Attention to detail, taking pride in producing quality work.
- Excellent communication skills for interfacing with various company departments.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Knowledge of electrical engineering as applied to Power System Distribution is highly desirable. Four year degree or demonstrated competence in English, Technical Communications, or 3 years of experience in a working environment related to the development of technical publications for the electric power industry.
EQUIPMENT/TOOLS: Windows Computer, Optical Scanner, Copier. Software including: Adobe Creative Suite – InDesign, Acrobat Professional, Illustrator, Photoshop, InCopy, and Bridge; Microsoft Office, Visio.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.