Bioprocess Technology Director
Location: Research and Development
Job Type: Full time
Nuseed delivers VALUE BEYOND YIELD® through dedicated service, locally proven canola, carinata, sorghum and sunflower seed for farm customers and new plant-based solutions for global end-use customers. Established in Australia in 2006, Nuseed has grown to offer industry leading germplasm, advanced molecular capabilities, regional R&D and commercial teams in Australia, Europe, North America and South America, and sales in more than 30 countries. Nuseed is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nufarm Limited (AUX: NUF).
We are a diverse team unlocking plant potential. We partner with growers, industry, and end-use customers to deliver a globally scalable and sustainable solution to help manage carbon.
- Position Summary
Nuseed is investing in some of the most innovative agricultural platforms and value chains for improving nutrition, delivering carbon reduction, and bringing new market opportunities to agriculture. Realizing the full potential of Nuseed’s Value Beyond Yield strategy drives us to partner within and integrate value chains and seek opportunities to leverage downstream technologies to generate new and unique value propositions. Nuseed technologies have broad applicability in existing and developing markets including ethanol, 2G fermentation platforms, lignin and cellulose products, protein and oil enhancement and their quality. Working to translate knowledge and needs of these downstream technologies to enhance our products, business models and value chain participation will enable additional revenue streams, better product positioning and improved value chain integration.
- Position Responsibilities
- Works as part of the R&D leadership team to develop, implement and execute technical strategies that satisfy the technology needs and business aspirations of Nuseed’s seeds, nutritional and bioenergy technical platforms.
- Provide technical assessments to inform value proposition and business model and recommend technology priority areas for fermentation-based technology platforms.
- One of the initial focus areas is lead the technical assessment in sorghum ethanol technology platform and support commercial opportunities.
- Lead protein meal enhancement technology assessment and testing for all crops
- Represent opportunities and requirements downstream market technologies and applications to R&D and breeding teams working to advance our crop products.
- Advise commercial and business development on future market opportunities for existing technical platforms including an assessment of technology strengths, leverage opportunities and needs.
- Direct, in partnership with stakeholders, technical assessments and data generation to support business objectives.
- Engages frequently with many aspects of technology and internal technical teams to enhance and influence Nuseed innovation process.
- Keeping an eye to future business aspirations, identify and recommend emergent processing technologies and strategy for use and implementation within Nuseed.
Skills & Experience Required
- Builds Networks – Demonstrated ability to build robust internal and external networks. The candidate should be comfortable working across the Nuseed organization as well as our industry to gain insights and develop collaborations and initiatives not readily apparent to each individual participant.
- Communicates Effectively – Develops and delivers multimode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Manages Ambiguity – Operates effectively in ambiguous situations and drives toward developing clarity and direction..
- Action oriented – Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with curiosity, a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Business knowledge and Insight – Uses technical acumen and applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organizations goals. Works to build full understanding of how business operates and is influenced.
- Manages Complexity – Makes sense of complex, high quantity information and organizes it reducing it to the relevant components to effectively solve problems.
- Very Organized – Excels at managing information, processes, projects and teams to help guide decision making and delivery of work products.
- Optimizes Work Processes – Continuous improvement focused that uses effective and efficient processes to get things done.
- Professional Development – people focused with drive to coach and develop others formally and informally.
- Educational Background and Technical Experience
- We look for candidates with a PhD degree and 10+ years of industry experience, or equivalent of combined education and experience, in microbiology, biology, agronomy, engineering or related field.
- Candidates with specific experience in bioprocessing, process engineering, biocatalysis or metabolic engineering are highly encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with regulatory processes, QA/QC are highly desirable.
- Experience in one or more industry including but not limited to agriculture, food and beverage, bioenergy, nutritional is required.