Packaging Production Engineer
Job Type: Full time
Grow a Better Tomorrow with Nufarm.
We know that growing is about more than just crops and cultivation. It’s about sunshine and rain, early mornings and hard work. It can be frustratingly unpredictable but also wonderfully uplifting. More than anything, it’s about people. Nufarm is the dependable partner behind thousands of agricultural success stories. Every day, growers around the world turn to our products and our people to help with the challenges of fighting disease, weeds and pests, and to increase crop yields.
How can you Unearth the Possibilities with Nufarm?
Based in Chicago Heights, IL Nufarm is looking to engage a motivated Packaging Production Engineer to work closely with the Operations team including shift teams, supervisors, production managers and Operations Managers to drive process optimization and improvement for the assigned packaging areas, as well as partnering with maintenance and quality control teams and other supply chain functions. The position will develop to be the process owner and subject matter expert for assigned areas, including packaging line/s and materials used in the packaging lines.
What will you be doing?
- Lead by example on safety programs and policies
- Close audit actions on assigned areas of responsibilities
- Initiate, manage and close MOC actions relate to assigned areas of responsibilities
- Eliminate production variance related to material usage variance, yield, write-offs
- Measure and improve Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Implement statistical process controls (SPC) in critical areas to improve the plant performance in areas of safety, quality, production, and costs
- Keep Billing of Material (BOM) updates, reduce scrap factors and improve routings in Oracle
- Work closely to the Production Coordinator, Packaging Manager and Supervisors and Production Scheduler to improve adherence to production plans for the next 12 months.
- Active involvement in the Rough Cut Capacity Planning (RCCP) meetings to ensure the success of the packaging plans and to deliver on our promises to customers.
- Support Procurement and Logistics to improve material flow inside the packaging areas.
- Certified Apollo root cause process, lead investigation and ensure actions are closed in assigned areas of responsibilities. Implement sustainable corrective solutions for management systems breakdowns associated with identified root causes.
- Ensure procedures/checklists are maintained updated and properly used
- Troubleshoot the plant together with the Packaging Supervisors to avoid safety, quality and production issues.
- Document best practices, learned lessons, corrective and preventive actions in the plant standard operations procedures (SOPs)
- Ensure Unusual Incident Reports (UIRs) are recorded, investigated and actions properly closed.
- Support Operations and Packaging managers on spending management and cost reduction initiatives
- Support new product introduction and ensure new campaigns are produced safely, on-time, meeting quality specifications at lower costs
- Take customers to site tours and work with quality to reduce quality complaints
- Ensure his/her area of responsibilities run free of product contamination and compliance to Nufarm Product Integrity Golden Rules. Croplife’s requirement subject matter expert.
- Support capex projects in the scope definition, construction, procedure writing/implementation, training of plant personnel and release to operation.
- Back up for the Process Control Engineer to troubleshoot code/logic issues and to ensure the operation is done free of forces and alarm nuisance
- Train or support the plant personnel to be trained in all areas related to the packaging operations, including safety, product contamination, quality, and production.
What do you bring?
Nufarm is looking for a packaging production engineer with 0-5 years of manufacturing/process/quality engineering experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Chemical Engineering or equivalent experience. The ideal candidate will be able to identify, drive, and implement key process and equipment improvements working with plant management, quality, safety, supervisors, maintenance, engineering, operators, etc.
If you want to be a part of a thriving, supportive environment and are inspired by the prospect of being a part of something bigger, we’d love to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity. All employment decisions are decided based on qualifications, merit and business needs. We are committed to building an inclusive environment for all Nufarm employees.