Lead Production Engineer, Restricted Infrastructure and Stacks (Remote, Americas - Eastern Time Zone)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
The Restricted Infrastructure and Stacks (RIS) team is dedicated to maintaining, improving, and growing the infrastructure on which sensitive workloads processed by our compliant applications reside. We’re a security-focused team that works with several different stakeholders to ensure our compliance environments exceed regulatory and industry standards.
RIS set the standard for secure and compliant infrastructure at a global scale, addressing a spectrum of challenging problems in a supportive team environment that fuels the professional growth of each individual. From daily operational issues to refactoring Infrastructure as Code to assisting application developers, Restricted Infrastructure and Stacks does it all.
As a Lead Production Engineer, you will shape improvements to scale the platform with expanded security and compliance objectives and new technologies. You'll operate as a technical leader, guiding technical design with hands-on work to drive the team's vision to its implementation. Part of your responsibility will be to foster a culture of mentorship and collaboration, and using your expertise and passion to multiply the team's overall output.
You will drive operational excellence to keep our systems running and the developers using our platform productive, removing toil and investing in team productivity as we evolve. You'll collaborate with engineers in other teams to anticipate future issues, and craft creative, cross-disciplinary solutions to complex problems.
If shaping infrastructure at a global scale and bringing security by design to a platform that touches millions of people every day sounds exciting, then this role is for you.
Please note this role is fully remote within the Americas, however you must be based within the Eastern time zone / UTC - 5 ⏰
Required skills and experience:
- Hands-on experience with Infrastructure as Code, understanding its paradigms and practices (we use Terraform and Chef).
- Comfort navigating through multiple programming languages, digging deep in the stack, and using cloud infrastructure.
- Demonstrated track record and expert knowledge in at least one of the following technologies: Kubernetes, GCP, Docker, MySQL. Willingness to learn other technologies and Shopify internal tools.
- Security aware with ability to articulate tradeoffs between security and other design goals.
- Proven experience with mentorship and guiding teammates level up their craft and technical skills.
- Constant learner with proven ability to independently seek solutions to problems, and anticipate problems to come. You identify opportunities for continuous improvement to reduce technical debt, waste and toil.
- Comfort working independently and asynchronously with teammates across multiple time zones.
- Expectation to be part of an on-call rotation.
- Documenting work products as part of daily work, and prioritizes clear recording of technical information.
- Deep experience with a major cloud platform (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Database administration (MySQL preferred).
- Containerization, orchestration, and (in particular) implementation through Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of security (ex. crypto, certificates, keypairs, hashes, authentication) and compliance (such as SOX and PCI).
- Experience with compliance processes and addressing auditor concerns.
- Understanding of networking fundamentals: DNS, firewalls, VPNs, network protocols, etc.
- Familiarity with development of substantial systems with modern programming practices - TDD, CI/CD, pair programming, source code management using Git (Preferred languages: Ruby, Go).
- Software testing skills to determine what requires testing, and improve test processes efficiency and repeatability.
- Familiarity with observability and resiliency tools for monitoring, logging, maintainability, and deployability (e.g. Splunk, Grafana, DataDog, OpenTelemetry).
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.