Principal Engineer, Infrastructure (Caching)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
Shopify is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Principal Engineer for our Caching Infrastructure team. As the Principal Engineering - Caching Infrastructure, you will play a critical role in shaping the caching technology and platform, including designing, building, and optimizing the caching infrastructure that powers Shopify's platform. You will have the opportunity to work on a large-scale, high-traffic system that serves millions of merchants and customers globally.
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of our large-scale caching infrastructure, ensuring its scalability, reliability, and efficiency in line with the scale of operations at Shopify.
- Independently propose, champion and drive clarity and simplicity on projects with engineering wide impact.
- Proficiently plan and manage the evolution of all aspects of our caching infrastructure used across all different commerce critical systems.
- Work with other principal engineers and tech leads to set and drive technical strategy and roadmap towards an efficient and reliable caching architecture.
- Work with open source ecosystem (s) with the ability to influence/contribute to unblock Shopify’s needs
- Stay updated on the latest caching technologies and patterns and apply those learnings back to our goals
- Mentor and coach craft leaders to help them grow, take part in shaping culture to build a healthy and impactful team.
- Foster an environment that embraces change, promotes innovation, and encourages continuous improvement.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated strong technical expertise in any infrastructure space
- Championed and delivered on complex technical projects touching many engineering teams that led to measurable impact
- Collaborated with staff-level leads across multiple teams, building trust, influencing direction, and fostering collaboration
- Experience working with and influencing open source community and/or cloud vendors
- Ability to dive into the codebase to influence by prototyping and building
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.