Technical Product Lead, Build
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
REMOTE OPPORTUNITY, CAN BE LOCATED ANYWHERE IN NORTH AMERICA
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
Our developer platform team builds the systems that developers use to build Apps, Themes, and Custom Storefronts such as the Shopify CLI and developer dashboard.This team also builds extensibility mechanisms such as App Bridge, Admin extensions, and Shopify Functions that allow developers to build tightly integrated merchant experiences. This is the team that is responsible for taking many aspects of Shopify and crafting it into a clear, opinionated developer experience for the best way to build applications on top of our platform to help our merchants grow.
We are looking for experienced Technical Product Lead who can take a lot of complexity and distill it into experiences that developers love - an experience that makes Shopify the best platform to build commerce applications.
What you will do:
- Define and guide the roadmap and long term product strategy for a set of products within our developer platform.
- Collaborate with Developers, Designers, Data Scientists, Marketers, and customers. You will be a team player, coach, and referee all-in-one.
- Be a well-rounded Technical Product Manager who understands the technical details relevant to the product experience and are also able to provide product design/UX sense.
- Speak with Developers on a daily basis to translate their needs and problems into product requirements.
- Communicate with stakeholders from multiple disciplines.
- Work with product marketing and developer evangelists to drive adoption of your products.
What you need to apply / Qualifications
- A combination of technical product management or product lead and developer experience with software, developer tools or platforms, web apps, or SaaS products.
- Experience defining the technical roadmap and strategy for creating best in class experiences for developers and app configuration.
- Exposure and interest in modern web development concepts.
- Experience building or managing products that have APIs that act as a key interface.
- Experience using Git and GitHub in app development and product management.
- Great communication skills and sound technical knowledge to drive developer experience with engineering and data science teams.
- An entrepreneurial mindset - you must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done.
- Ability to define and prioritize initiatives while working cross-functionally, and managing complex stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to travel on occassion for team meetings
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience working with App UI toolkits, frameworks on mature platforms.
- Experience building and maturing platforms and infrastructure
- Experience with APIs, SDKs, and/or building for developers or developer platforms
- Computer Science or other technical post-secondary education
- Experience building and shipping products in the ecommerce space
- Founder or tech start-up experience
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.