Staff Product Designer (Remote, Americas)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
NOTE: Only applicants who submit a portfolio of design work alongside application will be considered. By applying to this posting, you will be considered for a number of different UX teams across Shopify.
We’re looking for a Staff Product Designer to lead design projects of significant scope, complexity and responsibility in creative vision, strategy and execution.
About Shopify UX:
If you seek a team that shares your dedication and empowers you to do the best work of your life, you’ve found us at Shopify UX. The devotion of our industry-leading team isn’t just a job; it's our unwavering passion. We sweat the details, constantly striving to deliver exceptional experiences. Empathy drives us, immersing ourselves in a deep understanding of the entrepreneurial experience, delivering solutions that make our entire ecosystem of users feel seen, celebrated, and inspired. Creative courage fuels our innovation, encouraging bold ideas and embracing experimentation. Open collaboration, feedback, and critique are valued as we push each other to continuously improve. We embrace cutting-edge tools and methods, exploring AI-based technologies; empowering our team to skill up in areas that increase their knowledge and business impact. With curiosity and innovation, we deliver extraordinary value and embrace new creative challenges.
- Anchor and represent UX within a cross-functional team, driving a cohesive and impactful approach while fostering continuous improvement of design outcomes.
- Take ownership of the technical UX solution for projects, providing guidance and support to both yourself and others, while enhancing team tools, patterns, and processes for optimized impact, velocity, and quality.
- Mentor and guide fellow UXers, empowering them to elevate their craft and expertise, while identifying skill gaps and facilitating growth through mentorship or strategic recruitment.
- Lead autonomously with influence, collaborating effectively with cross-functional teams to shape a user-centric design vision and strategy, applying strategic thinking to effectively communicate the value of key solutions.
- Streamline feedback loops and processes for efficient and inclusive collaboration, cultivating positive and productive relationships with direct collaborators and stakeholders, and acting as a steward of UX and design quality, driving excellence and fostering growth within the organization.
- You demonstrate a command of product strategy, business needs, domain expertise, utilizing a range of UX tactics to achieve exceptional user-centered product outcomes
- You craft beautiful designs and delightful, useful, and usable experiences; you have experience in visual design, interaction, and product design. You are aware of your gaps and tireless in pursuit of continuous improvement and learning
- You are experienced at interpreting experiments or tests, and leverage quantitative data to inform product and design decisions
- You are a practiced communicator and storyteller helping your team and stakeholders grasp the extent of a problem, build empathy for the end user, and support your design rationale
- You have a growth mindset, a proactive approach to professional development, and a proven ability to lead through ambiguous problems.
- You have successfully mentored and guided others, empowering them to elevate their craft and expertise
- You are enthusiastic about leveraging AI and ML to drive innovative product design
- We work in Figma, GitHub, and occasionally in code. We expect you have deep mastery over your design tools, and willingness to adopt new tools and skills needed to bring your designs and prototypes to life
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.