Machine Learning Engineering Manager
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Shopify is making commerce simple. We give high growth, high volume merchants the scalability, reliability and flexibility they need to thrive in the ever changing landscape of commerce.
We are revolutionizing how we work and partner with our merchants by operating in a fully distributed work-from-home digital by default environment as we build the future of commerce.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
Machine Learning is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to build state of the art merchant- and buyer- facing products powered by ML.
This role is focused on building Personalization in the Shop App (https://shop.app/) to offer relevant, responsive and safe experiences for our buyers, while helping our merchants grow their business and reach new and existing customers.This role involves managing a team of 6-8 ML Engineers, and partnering closely with Product Management and Engineering counterparts to set the roadmap and investments for the area. The ideal candidate will also be technically hands-on on both the algorithm development and the deployment sides, to elevate technical thinking and craft excellence from end to end.
- Data Science/Machine Learning Engineering work experience, including hands-on technical management building algorithms, large scale production systems, and toolsets within the Machine Learning domain
- Demonstrated experience coding in one of the following languages: Python, Spark, C++, Java. Recent experience with Python and Spark especially valuable
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and managing data/machine learning teams, including performance management and deep technical mentorship
- Strong ability to prioritize and communicate to technical and non-technical audiences alike
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now. Please submit your documents in PDF format.