Senior Instructional Designer- External Education and Enablement
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
As a Senior Instructional Designer, you will provide expertise, creativity, and leadership to drive the design and development of credentialed and non-credit learning experiences. You will work collaboratively with colleagues, subject matter experts, product documentation teams, and program managers to lead curriculum development and learning design for developer and enterprise audiences.
In this role you will help Shopify develop and deliver world-class courses and training in commerce, technical enablement, platform and tools, developer courses, and other curricula to service partners, developers, merchants, and learners who comprise Shopify’s global and diverse audiences. You will manage the design and scalable delivery of digital teaching and learning models to increase learner success, demonstrated by measurable learning and performance outcomes.
- Collaborate with program managers, product documentation teams, subject matter experts, content developers, and digital learning team members on the design, development, and delivery of digital learning experiences.
- Conduct thorough research to gather technical content and translate it into clear and concise instructional materials
- Develop, implement, evaluate and refine learning design standards, procedures, and protocols
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to analyze learning needs and define learning objectives for developer-oriented certifications
- Lead the design, development, and delivery of digital course content, materials, interactive and multimedia technology-driven components, and other learning materials that are consistent with established design and development processes
- Develop of original content, learning activities, projects, rubrics, and exams
- Collect, analyze and report on data related to online initiatives for continual improvement
- Remain abreast of technology directions, initiatives, and trends to provide ideas, guidance, and recommendations.
- 5+ years experience working in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, or a related area
- Demonstrated experience applying online instructional design principles, practices, and techniques to digital learning design and development
- Experience managing curriculum development projects and initiatives in formal education and or corporate learning
- Demonstrated experience designing and developing learning and instruction for digital delivery of for-credit and not-for-credit offerings
- Excellent editing, writing, and communication skills
- Experience with multiple learning management systems (Skilljar, Thought Industries, WorkRamp, etc., etc.); evaluation and online delivery
- Development of original content, learning activities, projects, rubrics, and exams
- Demonstrated experience working in LMS environments to develop learning materials.
- Demonstrated experience conducting workshops and other professional development
- Previous work experience in a B2B or B2C SaaS environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.