Senior DevOps Engineer
String and Key
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
String and Key is a research and development studio building digital platforms that will change the way people manage and protect their money. Our purpose is to empower every person to live life to the fullest, with the confidence of financial protection.
We are a team of math nerd strategists, user flow obsessed designers, result-driven developers, and epic storytelling marketers. We’re an entrepreneurial team that values doers, people who think outside the box, and those who are not afraid to experiment. We love what we do and take work-life balance and professional development as seriously as our products.
The first business we built is Wyshbox, which is a whole new way to talk about and sell life insurance to a younger audience. Customers build their own personalized policies around their “Wyshes” — the things that they want to happen, if anything happens to to them. From sending their kids to college to shooting their ashes into space - this isn’t your traditional insurance. It’s 100% online on the web, iOS, or android. No agents and no hassles.
- Create and maintain systems to develop, build, test, and deploy in-house applications and vendor solutions on cloud infrastructure
- Build software and systems to manage platform infrastructure and applications using tools like Terraform, Kubernetes, Vault, and AWS
- Collaborate with engineers to provide a robust “you build it, you run it” platform supported by the infrastructure team
- Troubleshoot priority incidents, facilitate postmortems & ensure permanent closure of incidents by treating root causes
- Constantly re-evaluate our product to improve architecture, knowledge models, user experience, performance, and stability - automating improvements and minimizing manual upkeep along the way
- Strong understanding of a YAML-based CI tool like CircleCI
- Real-world experience with build and deployment of Docker/OCI container images into Kubernetes
- Ability to program in a programming/scripting language, such as Ruby, Go, or Python. Ruby is a bonus as we use it for other internal software, but understanding how to read and write some code is key
- Understand modern team software development and testing tools and practices, including CI/CD and “gitops” approaches
- Knowledgeable of engineering best practices from appropriate testing paradigms to effective peer code reviews and resilient architecture
- Start-up experience a plus!
Diversity and Inclusion
String and Key is a proud equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in and outside of the workplace. We strongly believe that everyone deserves a seat at the table and we support a culture where our people are empowered to be their authentic selves each and everyday.
We’re building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to reflect the world that we live in and the customers we serve. You are welcomed to apply for this role free of biases or discrimination regardless of your race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by law.
A Great Team – We focus on hiring people from diverse backgrounds who are great teammates and experts in their field
Flexible Work Schedule and Location – We’re interested in what you contribute moreso than when or where you do it
Work Life Balance – Unlimited PTO, Paid Holidays, along with Paid Summer Fridays and Paid parental leave
Competitive Compensation – Exact compensation range is determined based on your region, years of experience, and specific skill set using aggregate market data from PayScale
Health & Wellness – We offer 100% Medical Care Coverage for you and generous contributions for family, Dental and Vision Coverage, Commuter and Parking Reimbursement, 401k with a 4% Match, Health and Wellness Reimbursement, Free talkspace membership, Voluntary Long-term and Short-term Disability, Life Insurance and FSA/HSA
Career Development – String and Key believes in upskilling their teams so each employee is provided a $1,000 annual training allowance towards classes, books, conferences, etc
Friendly office environments – Two modern offices; one in Dumbo, Brooklyn and the other in Durham, NC, offering a variety of working spaces for individual or team collaboration with free meals and snacks - or, work from home if you prefer, your team also has many remote and distributed colleagues
Social events – Monthly culture events, celebrations, team outings and social hours (both in person and virtual)