SR Manufacturing & Process Development Engineer (future role)
Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Job Type: Full time
At TE, you will unleash your potential working with people from diverse backgrounds and industries to create a safer, sustainable and more connected world.
TE’s Automotive Transportation Solutions’ Manf and Process Development Engineers are responsible for developing and industrializing manufacturing processes for new and existing products. The duties include reviewing the latest automation and software technologies, most recently including AI (Artificial intelligence) and AGV’s (Automated Guided Vehicles). Duties also include the process development for assembly of connector components, cable assemblies, test methodologies for complex value-add assemblies, present innovative ideas to solve complex manufacturing problems and input on new products designs to reduce costs and increase overall manufacturing efficiency.
What You'll Be Doing....
You will work closely with Core Project Teams inclusive of product development engineers, quality engineers, project managers to:
- Understand product and quality requirements and develop appropriate assembly processes to scale production with minimal supervision.
- Collaborate with Product Engineering and Product Management in developing the next generation products by conducting early DFA/DFM to ensure manufacturing feasibility and scalability.
- Estimate capex, manufacturability cost drivers (cycle time, scrap, MMR, floor space etc.) for processes for existing and new products.
- Create process flow and PFMEA (Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) to identify process risk areas- during the early phases of development and address them through detection or prevention methods.
- Write machine specifications, equipment requirements and qualification plans based on the PFMEAs (Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis), generate RFQs (Request for Quote) (Request for Quote), review quotes and select suppliers.
- Specifying and identifying incoming component quality and the effects on the downstream assembly process, and product quality.
- Review and approve FAI and take appropriate disposition actions as required.
- Support EV/ DV (Design Validation)/ PV (Process Validation) sample builds.
- Actively mentor and coach other team members on best practices and processes.
You will be responsible for researching the latest technologies, along with developing and industrializing assembly processes including:
o Strong PLC programming and vision system development and implementation are the main requirements for the position being filled. We are specifically looking for someone with AI experience or a strong desire to investigate, learn and lead activities related to AI in general and with vision systems.
o Work with integrators, internal automation teams, application tooling team to develop, build and qualify lean and flexible manufacturing processes including assembly techniques for connectors, complex value add assemblies, cable assembly techniques, testing methodology and resolution of problems encountered in the process of bringing new products from concept to market.
o Partner with Global Equipment Leader to develop future concepts, processes, and platforms that use smart automation, are flexible, scalable, and digital with focus on lower capital, smaller footprint, higher utilization rates, and faster time to market.
o Hold design reviews, run at rate, capability analysis, MSAs (Measurement Systems Analysis), correlation studies, DOEs to qualify equipment at supplier and at manufacturing facility.
o Managing suppliers (local and global) both as a mini project manager and a SME.
o Optional: Use 3d CAD to design fixtures, jigs, gages for prototype and/ or production intent processes.
o Develop layouts with plant industrial engineers use TEOA tools to remove waste, create continuous flow and optimize flow of material and information.
o Transfer, setup and qualify equipment in the final manufacturing location, train plant personnel on use, functionality.
o Drive failure analysis and machine issue resolution while working with machine suppliers, on plant floor, and during ramp up. Maintain a running list of action items and plans to address them a timely manner through a systematic problem-solving approach.
o Frequently use and apply technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to process development and debug.
o Conduct Mass Production Trials including mapping value stream, capacity planning calculations, and run at rate to validate process robustness and readiness before serial production.
Your immediate customers will be the manufacturing plants and product management teams.
o You will work with the receiving teams to their ensure needs are met and deliveries are on time, effective and in line with plant goals.
o Work with plant master data and ME teams to define the optimal work center and process flow setup to minimize waste, and optimally utilize the equipment between multiple products.
o Collaborate with and receive manufacturing plant’s feedback (VOC) based on lessons learned and continuous improvement efforts to update standard machine specifications.
You will typically manage multiple projects with budgets between $25,000 to $1M per year. Excellent project management, organizational, and negotiation skills are key to success in this role.
What your background should look like:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering/Technical field.
- 5 + years of experience in manufacturing process development and PLC programming for high mix low volume/ low mix high volume products.
- 3+ years of direct experience with process development and manufacturing in the Automotive industry.
- Experienced in the development of lean automation manufacturing systems incorporating flexible and modular automation.
- Knowledge of Quality Systems and Problem Solving (Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing).
- Experience with implementation of automated equipment in a production environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - verbal and written. Should be able to adapt communication style to suit different audiences. Bilingual with Spanish is a plus.
- Travel: up to 30%- international and local. Potentially with extended trips lasting 2-4 weeks.
The role will be located onsite in Winsten-Salem, NC.
ABOUT TE CONNECTIVITY
TE Connectivity is a global industrial technology leader creating a safer, sustainable, productive and connected future. Our broad range of connectivity and sensor solutions, proven in the harshest environments, enable advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, data communications and the home. With more than 85,000 employees, including more than 7,500 engineers, working alongside customers in approximately 140 countries, TE ensures that EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS. Learn more at www.te.com and on LinkedIn, Facebook, WeChat and Twitter.
- Competitive base salary commensurate with experience: $89,000 - $134,542 (subject to change dependent on physical location)
- Posted salary ranges are made in good faith. TE Connectivity reserves the right to adjust ranges depending on the experience/qualification of the selected candidate as well as internal and external equity.
- Total Compensation = Base Salary + Incentive(s) + Benefits
- A comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, 401(k), disability, life insurance, employee stock purchase plan, paid time off and voluntary benefits.
EOE, Including Disability/Vets