Apprentice Mechanic [Heavy Vehicle] Fleet Maintenance
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Location: Kunda Park
Job Type: Full time
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
One QFES. Many Services, Many Capabilities, Many Partners
$26,478.24 - $61,652.00per annum
Wage will be paid at a % based on age and competencies of applicant.
Strategy & Corporate Services
Closing Date:Midnight Sunday 2 April 2023
This is a four-year apprenticeship term. At the completion of the apprenticeship program the employee will be released from the position with a trade qualification.
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.
For further information regarding the Role Description or to apply please click on the APPLY ONLINE button below.
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
The Fleet Delivery team leads fleet operations, fleet strategy and mechanical services and provides repairs and maintenance of fit for purpose heavy, light and medium commercial fleet vehicles and associated equipment to all members of QFES. Through the full lifecycle management and best practice approach to fleet and equipment management, we ensure all assets and equipment are managed strategically and maintained to meet the complex environment in which they are deployed and utilised, and to meet operational capability and organisational objectives.
We are currently looking for enthusiastic entry-level school leavers and/or experience apprentices looking to continue their apprenticeships with commitment to complete an approximate four year heavy vehicle apprenticeship, whilst working in the QFES Fleet Maintenance workshops and teams responsible for the repair and maintenance of light and heavy vehicles and equipment. Reporting to the Workshop Supervisor, you will be a key member of the team learning and assisting with the repair, maintenance and installation of fire appliances, under the supervision of a qualified trades person, including associated ancillary equipment and systems to ensure they comply with the heavy vehicle legislation and regulations.
As an apprentice, you will receive:
- personal protective equipment (PPE) kit
- quality training and mentoring in all aspects of the heavy vehicle mechanical trade, with the opportunity to experience the light vehicle trade
- a safe working environment with some of the best equipment in the industry
- ongoing career support and guidance
- the opportunity to learn from highly skilled, experienced and passionate team
- complete formal TAFE/Registered Training Organisation studies – earn while you learn.
Highly desirable requirements
- Valid driver’s licence and be familiar with both manual and automatic transmission types.
- Eligibility for enrolment in or progression towards achievement of the relevant Trade Certificate in, Heavy Vehicle Mechanic, or other Trade Certificate as deemed suitable by the Commissioner, QFES.
- Commitment to complete a four year apprenticeship and obtain a nationally recognised qualification.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Ability to acquire knowledge and the understanding of repairs, maintenance, manufacture, installation skills in the areas of: light vehicles, heavy vehicles (including automatic and manual transmissions), light fabrication (sheet metal) and auto electrical.
- Learn how to repair vehicles through formal training sessions and hands on work experience, under the careful supervision of our trained light and heavy vehicle mechanics.
- Ability to acquire knowledge to diagnose potential faults, including electrical for the QFES fire appliance fleet and equipment, via the repairs and maintenance schedule and learn how to successfully repair all types of vehicle mechanical problems.
- Listen, absorb information and communicate with the Workshop Supervisor and senior mechanics to learn how to isolate problems and provide practical and safe solutions in relation to fire appliances and associated equipment at the completion of each maintenance exercise.
- Competently and safely use hand and specialised tools including electronic diagnostic equipment, ensuring all work is carried out in compliance with Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- Participate in ongoing manufacturer and in-house training to maintain competencies and acquire a trade certificate in the area of: heavy vehicle road transport.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact Anthony Reynolds, Executive Manager (Fleet Maintenance) on phone 0457 331 121 or email Anthony.Reynolds@qfes.qld.gov.au.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.