The University of Newcastle
Job Type: Full time
Our vision to become a world-leading university for our regions will take passion and perseverance. We can’t do it without you.
The University of Newcastle stands as a global leader distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Our vision is to be a world-leading University for our regions and creating a better future for our regions and the globe. Underpinned by this vision and our values of excellence, equity, engagement and sustainability, the University of Newcastle’s Looking Ahead Strategic Plan 2020-2025 outlines the University’s commitment to delivering an exceptional student experience and serving our communities.
We are looking for people to join our university and bring their global expertise to our region, and to take their impactful research to the world with us.
We are driven by our inclusive focus and are proud of our five-star rating for social equity. We are among the first 15 universities in Australia to receive the Bronze Award under the Athena Swan Charter and we’re striving to achieve Silver.
Academic Excellence is a unit within the Vice-Chancellors’ Division responsible for providing strategic insight drawn from qualitative and quantitative methods, and for recommending actions to optimise the University’s performance on rankings, government initiatives and strategic priorities. It engages across all portfolios of the University in order to analyse and integrate academic information and adjust levers to drive enhanced unit and individual level academic performance in line with the University’s strategic plan and ambitions.
Academic Excellence collects, interprets, analyses and presents data on institutional and individual academic performance from a wide range of data sources, including government data, university systems, surveys and online sources.
Be challenged and imagine with us
The University of Newcastle is looking for an experienced Data Scientist with a passion for working with stakeholders, a high level of comfort navigating ambiguity and a keen sense of ownership and drive to delivery results.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in data insights, business analytics and data visualisation and will be comfortable taking initiative and leading data analysis projects. They will also have the aptitude to incorporate new approaches and methodologies while dealing with ambiguities in sourcing processes and excellent business and communication skills to develop and define key questions and build data sets that answer those questions.
How will you inspire us?
The essential criteria for success include:
- Postgraduate qualification (preferably PhD) in data science, statistics, or mathematics and at least three years hands on data science experience.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects and working on large statistical, structured and unstructured datasets.
- Strong knowledge of, and experience with, technologies and solutions that support: database development; data management, storage and publication; data analysis; and, reporting of results customised to project requirements.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including ability to communicate and strong track record of initiating stakeholder engagement with academics, government and industry.
- Experience with high-quality presentation of data.
- Demonstrated ability to work individually, and as part of a team to deliver shared goals and meet tight deadlines.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Australian and international higher education sector and external factors and issues relevant to it.
For the full list of essential and desirable selection criteria, please review the Position Description.
What we offer
This position will be offered as a HEW 8, full-time continuing role.
The remuneration range is from $107,800 to $125,767 plus 17 % superannuation and leave loading.
For information on our employee benefits (such as flexible working, discounts in private health insurance and gym memberships and salary packaging) please click here.
The University is committed to being a leader in family-friendly working environments.
Your application must include:
- A Cover Letter; outlining your interest in the role
- A statement addressing all of the Essential and Desirable Criteria, as provided in the Position Description (4 pages max)
- Your CV, which should be succinct and discipline appropriate.
Please upload your Cover Letter and response to the requested Criteria as one PDF document.
For specific position enquiries, please contact Kathy Hadley on 4921 7700 or via email Kathy.email@example.com
Having difficulties? Please reach out to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this position will only be accepted from those with Australian residency or a valid work permit.
Closing date: 3rd October 2023 at 11.59pm AEST
We are excited to be Looking Ahead with you
The University of Newcastle is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.