Work Health and Safety Specialist (Dangerous Goods)
The University of Newcastle
Job Type: Full time
- Provide technical advice and drive a proactive approach
- Fresh approaches to safety culture welcomed and encouraged
- Be at the forefront of managing chemical and legislative compliance practices
At the University of Newcastle, safe environments and a strong safety culture support research, innovation and teaching. .
As a Health and Safety Specialist you will play a crucial role in ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of our research and teaching activities, particularly concerning dangerous goods and hazardous substances and chemicals. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Providing specialist advice and support in key technical areas related to safety and compliance.
- Developing and maintaining administrative processes, including inspection and audit programs, to guarantee compliance with legislation, Australian Standards, and University policies.
- Collaborating with regulatory and external bodies on University activities, facilities, equipment, and materials.
- Participating in University Health and Safety committees, Chemical Radiation Technical Committee, and Institutional Biosafety Committee to offer expertise in hazardous goods.
- Monitoring H&S certification requirements and ensuring compliance with the UON Health and Safety Management System Framework (HSMSF).
- Contributing to the improvement of the UON Health and Safety Management System Framework (HSMSF) documentation, including policies and procedures related to chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Managing chemical manifests and databases, ensuring accurate and up-to-date information for ongoing safety.
This continuing position is full time at a HEW 7 Higher Education Level and will be based at Callaghan Campus (Awabakal and Worimi land). There may also be a requirement to travel to our other campuses including Newcastle City and Central Coast.
About our University
The University of Newcastle stands as a global leader distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Our vision is to be a world-leading University for our regions and creating a better future for our regions and the globe. Underpinned by this vision and our values of excellence, equity, engagement and sustainability, the University of Newcastle’s Looking Ahead Strategic Plan 2020-2025 outlines the University’s commitment to delivering an exceptional student experience and serving our communities.
For more information click here – Our Uni.
About the Unit
This role sits within the Human Resource Services (HRS) unit within the Resources Division. HRS provides a broad range of direct HR services across all areas of the University. This role works closely with other HR teams including Talent Acquisition, HR Advisory Support, Remuneration and Benefits, Organisational Development, Wellbeing, Health & Safety and Employee Relations. Stakeholder relationships are integral to your success including Infrastructure and Facilities Services, NIER and Research and Innovation Division.
What we offer
In addition to working for a university that is breaking boundaries, discovering new ways of thinking and cementing a place as a global leader, we offer a range of benefits to our employees to ensure you balance your commitments, stay healthy and work effectively.
- The remuneration for this position is from $95,822 - $107,800 p.a. + superannuation and is commensurate with skills and experience
- Flexible working arrangements (in line with the University’s Flexible Work Policy
- 17% super and salary packaging
- Additional University Holiday days, generous personal leave and parental leave, annual leave loading and additional purchased leave scheme
- Discounts in private health insurance, gym memberships, software, travel and more
- Wellbeing programs
Your next steps
Please visit here for a guide on how to apply for a role.
If viewing this on a job board other than the University's please click ‘Apply’ to reach the University's website, where a copy of the Position Description can be accessed. Please download a copy before commencing your application.
Your application must include:
- Your resume
- A cover letter outlining your motivation to apply for this opportunity
- A statement addressing the Essential Criteria listed below:
- A degree in Work, Health and Safety or related technical discipline, with at least four years subsequent relevant experience; or extensive experience and management expertise in technical or administrative fields; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Demonstrated high level knowledge and experience with risk assessment, incident investigation, training development and delivery, auditing and implementation of dangerous goods procedures.
- Demonstrated analytical, research and interpretive skills including the ability to analyse and effectively communicate best practice approaches to dangerous goods management in a complex business environment to deliver positive outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide authoritative, professional health and safety advice and consultancy services related to senior and line management in relation to H&S issues, particularly around dangerous goods with a strong client outcome focus.
- Ability to develop positive collaborative working relationships with clients, peers and team members through high level communication and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated communication skills of a high level including the ability to develop and deliver health and safety training and with strong conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and work with people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
Please upload your Cover Letter and response to the requested Criteria as one PDF document.
Your Cover Letter and Response to the Essential Criteria should not exceed 4 pages (approximately 2,000 words).
For specific position enquiries, please contact Megan Clark, Associate Director Wellbeing Health and Safety on (02) 4921 2046 or via email email@example.com
Having Difficulties? Please reach out to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are passionate about creating a safe and innovative academic environment and possess the qualifications and experience required for this role, we encourage you to apply.
Closing date: Monday 2nd October 2023 at 11.59pm AEST
We are excited to be Looking Ahead with you!