Scientific Support Specialist
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
We are looking for a Scientific Support Specialist to join Abcam's Scientific Support team. Our team consists of experienced and highly qualified Biologists, Microbiologists and Life Scientists, and sits at the heart of our commercial operations.
As part of our Scientific Support team, you will be responsible for providing daily technical support to our customers via email, phone and live chat. This also involves liaising with production labs about the products, updating product datasheets and reviewing customer data. In addition, there is also departmental and inter-departmental projects, sharing your expertise with your team and the rest of the organisation. As this role interacts directly with our customers you are required to use first class communication skills as well as expert scientific knowledge.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Provide an excellent level of technical support to researchers, leading to high customer satisfaction
- Troubleshoot problems with antibody-based applications (western blot, IHC, ELISA, IP, FC, ChIP, etc.) and other protein detection related products and tools (biochemicals, assay kits)
- Resolve complaints by providing optimal solutions to customers, balanced with commercial needs Improve our customers’ experiences in the lab and increase sales by cross-selling, where appropriate
- Liaise with product suppliers to obtain product information when necessary
- Update product datasheets when new information becomes available
- Spend up to 10% of time working on specific projects, often involving other departments, which benefit the business
- Continually think of, suggest, and help implement process improvements
- Actively participate in team meetings and departmental discussions Stay up-to-date on new products, applications, and techniques through webinars and trainings.
- M.Sc. in a life sciences field
- Additional laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications. Experience must include western blotting or immunohistochemistry.
- Experience in Cellular Assays, Biochemicals, Flow Cytometry and ChIP would be advantageous.
- Background in chemistry with experience using and troubleshooting assay kits and/or the application of biochemicals in life sciences research
- Experience teaching or supervising staff or students
- Customer service and/or call centre experience
- Friendly, positive, self-motivated, and a good team player with effective written and verbal communication skills
- Additional languages such as German, Spanish and French highly desirable
- Ideally a PhD in life sciences field with laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased holiday allowance over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.