Associate Research Area Scientific Lead, Neuroscience
Job Type: Full time
For over 20 years, Abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
Abcam is a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists with a global reputation for excellent products with detailed technical specifications. We take pride in the quality and performance of the products we develop.
We are looking for a motivated scientist with comprehensive research experience in the Neuroscience field to join our Research and Development function based in Cambridge, UK. This role will represent the voice of the researcher, working closely with our global new product development and marketing teams to ensure that the quality and performance of the new products developed in our labs meet our customers’ needs now and in the future.
The Research Area Scientific Lead role will contribute to technical evaluation, planning and troubleshooting of our antibody generation projects, as well as manage product development collaborations with a global network of researchers. This role will support not only the antibody platform but also proteins, assays and cell engineering.
The role involves:
- Support successful delivery of great new products: work closely with global R&D and marketing colleagues to establish, manage, support and troubleshoot antibody discovery projects, approving for commercialization new antibodies to Neuroscience and associated targets.
- Set product quality and performance standards for our products (such as antibodies, ELISA kits and other assays, proteins and cell lines), working collaboratively with our R&D scientists and project managers globally.
- Develop and manage product development collaborations and build a scientific network in the research communities we are serving.
- Ensure appropriate development and validation methods are in place for Neuroscience products across our product development platforms.
- Support development and optimization of new technologies relevant to Neuroscience product development.
- Be a subject matter expert within a cross-functional team establishing the product roadmap and strategy for the Neuroscience area. Provide scientific and technical expertise across the business within your specific areas of experience.
- Maintain knowledge of the field, staying up to date on new developments, literature and methods. Attend meetings and conferences (some travel is required both international & national).
You have a PhD in Neuroscience research along with a strong knowledge and understanding of the progress and challenges in this field. You are familiar with a range of core skills including cell culture, molecular biology, protein expression and purification.
You have a strong technical skill set with hands on experience in antibody-based assays including immunocytochemistry, IHC, western blotting, ELISA and flow cytometry. You have experience working in cross-organizational collaborations to deliver on your research goals and the ability to accurately and carefully interpret and analyze scientific data, including planning robust experiments to resolve uncertainty.
You are able to show technical leadership across multiple teams and are highly organized, adaptable, energetic, proactive and a strong team player and influencer. You possess effective communication skills and are comfortable building productive, trusting relationships within the team and across a global business.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.