Job Type: Full time
For over 20 years, Abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
About the role
Join Abcam’s Digital team as a Platform Engineer. In this role you work as part of the Platform Engineering Team to work with our engineers to build and maintain Abcam’s technology platforms. You will strive to ensure maximum automation across all platforms and always seeking ways to improve our standards, practices and processes.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Strive for continuous improvement of our DevOps practices
- Ensure the uptime and stability of the Production and Development infrastructure.
- Responsible for delivering and maintaining all cloud platforms
- Build and maintain the software deployment tools and pipelines
- Continuously develop and improve new and existing automation processes
- Work with the Platform, Architecture, Engineering and Security teams to implement infrastructure required to build, test and run our applications.
- Ensure that the DevOps key principles are instilled into everything we do: Simplify, Innovate, Automate.
- Implement security standards and best practice throughout our estate
- Work with cross functional teams to deliver new technical projects.
- Drive improvements to our deployment process and tooling
- Ensure that all documentation is up to date, issues are logged and tracked
- You will understand the importance of a good developer experience in delivering world-class systems, and how this can be continually improved
- You will be an excellent communicator, able to enthuse and inspire people around you.
- You will be deeply technical, with strong experience in building and managing web infrastructure (e.g. IIS, Nginx) either in a container platform (Kubernetes) or on virtual machines.
- You will understand the value of automation and have experience with coding repeatable tasks.
- You will understand the importance of security in delivering a cloud platform, and how automation can help you implement and manage security controls across the platform. Specific experience with configuration and infrastructure as code tooling (Puppet, Terraform preferred) is an advantage.
- You will have experience with AWS Cloud infrastructure and ideally experience with Serverless technologies in AWS (Lambda, DynamoDB).
- You will have a deep understanding of DevOps practices and how to embed them into an organisation.
- You will understand development pipelines. Experience with at least one of; Team City / Jenkins / Gitlab CI is essential.
- You will be able to script in a at least one of the following languages: PowerShell / bash / python.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.