Associate Research Area Scientific Lead, Neuroscience
Job Type: Full time
For over 20 years, abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
Our R&D team are looking for a motivated scientist with experience in Neuroscience research in academic and/or industry settings. This role will represent the ‘voice of the scientist’, working closely with our technical and commercial teams to develop new products for immunology researchers, and defining abcam’s new product strategy for our customers working within this field.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to support the development of our products to aid researchers and scientists across the world to achieve their research missions, faster!
- Support and troubleshoot new antibody discovery projects working closely with global R&D and marketing colleagues. Ensure that appropriate validation methods are in place. Analyse data to ensure high performance high quality products for our customers. Oversee and coordinate technical tasks on projects to drive successful delivery.
- Provide scientific and technical expertise across the business to represent the needs of our customers working in neuroscience research. Implement new technologies and process improvements to support those customers.
- Support productive collaborations with scientists and Key Opinion Leaders from academia and industry and establish a scientific network in the research communities we are serving.
- Maintain knowledge of the research field, staying up to date on new developments, literature and methods. Attend meetings and conferences (some travel is required both international & national).
- Support effective management and visibility of our product development pipeline and track progress against strategy, working closely with commercial strategy teams, Project Managers, and across the R&D function.
You will have significant research experience with a PhD in Neuroscience and experience interrogating pathways and processes in one or more of the following areas: neurological diseases, neurodevelopment or neurobiological processes. You have have a strong proteomic technical skill set with hands-on experience in using techniques such as western blotting, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry and ELISA; as well as a strong core cellular and molecular biology skillset.
You must have strong interpersonal and communication skills, comfortable building relationships across teams and functions both internally and externally. You will be required to show technical leadership within multiple teams. You are organised, independent, energetic, proactive, a strong team player and influencer.
Whilst the role does not typically entail laboratory work, significant experience with antibodies and the capacity to interpret and analyse scientific data will be ideal.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.