Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
This is a real opportunity to help transform the approach for the company secretarial and legal entity governance support function in this region for American Express during a time of exceptional change. In addition to helping define the strategy for company secretarial support for American Express in this region, this role will require a ‘hands on’ approach.
Forming part of the in-house legal department of American Express (known as the General Counsel’s Organization) in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region, this role will help to provide company secretarial and governance support for American Express subsidiaries in UK.
The role will report to the UK Company Secretary in the American Express General Counsel’s Organization.
Role and responsibilities:
- Assist the UK secretariat for main American Express operating companies in the UK
- Planning board meetings, coordinating and preparing board materials
- Provide comprehensive company secretarial support to a number of boards and board committees, preparation of agendas, creation and collation of board packs, taking minutes following up on action points and providing governance advice.
- Maintain board and board committee calendars, seeking and monitoring director availability for additional meetings as necessary.
- Drafting board and shareholder resolutions as required
- Drafting documentation necessary to support corporate administration, including appointments and resignations, powers of attorney, delegations of authority, confirmation statements, updates to constitutional documents and issuance of share capital and declaration and payment of dividends, etc
- Research on correct company secretarial and governance procedures required by law, constitutional documents and American Express internal policy and processes
- Effecting relevant corporate filings and updates as required for UK and European subsidiaries, branches of foreign companies established in the UK and working with internal stakeholders and outside counsel for filings relevant to local subsidiaries and branches in other countries in the EMEA region
- Maintain statutory records and registers and submit statutory returns
- Maintain policy templates, guidance and the annual calendar for policy reviews.
- Manage and monitor the use of board management software across the UK entities
- Assist with other administrative tasks related to activities of the secretariat including execution of documents, liaising with stakeholders to have documents legalised, managing company books and filings.
- Assist with company secretarial KYC requests from other areas of the business.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Amex Flex - #LI-Hybrid
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
- University degreee or equivalent experience
- Experience in a company secretarial department or other senior administrative role
- An understanding of the requirements of the Companies Act
- Adopts a methodical approach with excellent attention to detail
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to improve processes and ensure the effective functioning of the secretariat
- An excellent team player who is able to work independently when required
- A flexible can-do approach to relevant issues and to act promptly to ensure situations are dealt with appropriately, effectively and with professionalism
- Able to multitask and work to tight deadlines
- An effective communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent record keeping skills with the ability to minute in great detail
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on [email protected]