Staff Engineer, Financial Crimes Technologies
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let’s lead the way together.
We are looking for an experienced engineer for the Staff Engineer role who will lead the Financial Crimes Platform Transformation, delivering Anti Money Laundering and Know-Your-Customers capabilities to meet the ever-increasing demand from regulators around the world, protect our customers assets and enable delightful experiences to our customers and colleagues globally.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- 50% of the time spent on coding and/or hands-on technical implementation
- Responsible for solving challenging technical problems and producing elegant solutions as an individual contributor
- Work with Enterprise Architecture, other Staff Engineers and Delivery teams to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach
- Provide technical mentorship to other software engineers at all levels, promoting a culture of inclusion, collaboration and technical excellence
- Site Reliability Engineering approach to software delivery (alerts, paging, telemetry, incident management, threat-detection)
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct design reviews as needed
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components
- Improve and maintain existing components of the core platform
- Actively participate in team and company-wide architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Enforce to release/project schedule and sprint achievements
- Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments
- Responsible for health and quality of the code across the portfolio, including leadership over SCM, functional testing, and CI/CD tool integration
- You have hands-on coding experience in modern Java (8+) e.g. functional concepts like reactive streams, lambdas, concurrency, alternative JVM languages such as Kotlin, Clojure a plus; hands-on Full Stack experience with Kafka, PostgreSQL, OneData, DB/Caches (Elastic/Redis), Dockers/Kubernetes.
- Proficient in cross-platform integration, middleware and company frameworks e.g. RTF, Ace Studio, Cornerstone, OneAmex frameworks, etc
- Expertise in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performed at a global enterprise scale
- You have proven track record leading core engineering functions: code reviews, design proposals, code style/structure, contribution guidelines, release conventions, testing strategy
- Experience modeling and architecting complicated business domains and associated methodologies/paradigms: i.e. Domain Driven Design, Event Sourcing, CQRS
- Expertise in distributed architectural patterns: event driven microservices, distributed transactions: sagas, append-only logs, change data capture, idempotent consumer, eventual consistency
- Advanced understanding of software design patterns: object oriented, functional, reactive, data-intensive, scalability, availability principles
- Expertise designing elegant and consumable APIs, full dominion of OpenAPI, gateway concepts, authentication/authorization OAuth, JWT
- Expertise in InfoSec practices: penetration testing, cryptography, network security
- You are capable of instilling accountability and achieving results via iterative development to prioritize working software over heavy processes and extensive documentation
- You have the courage to challenge the status quo and also encourages different points of views to mitigate biased decisions;
- Able to diagnose, resolve, and prevent the recurrence of system downtime
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge of Financial Crimes is desired
- University Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent experience
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com