Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join Team Amex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we champion your meaningful career journey with programs, benefits, and flexibility to back you personally and professionally. Every colleague shares in the company’s success.
That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to our customers, communities, and each other every day. And, we’ll do it with integrity and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they truly belong.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to work on Global Commercial Services next generation Digital Experience, data and servicing technology organization that will be used by tens of millions of cardholders and B2B clients around the world. The Engineering Director will be responsible for leading the Business Travel Account Tech Team - a global market-leading centralised billing product offering travel solutions which is a key differentiator for American Express for our corporate clients, including some of the world's most profitable and influential companies. You will join our mature set of scrum teams building new capabilities to bolster the already market-leading offering. We value ideas, opinions and great communicators. We're proud that a culture of respect and teamwork exists among colleagues.We want someone who is super creative and enjoys solving challenging engineering problems. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, agile environment within a Fortune 100 company where you can directly impact real dollars in revenue growth and operational savings.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Provide technical leadership to deliver high-volume, low-latency software solutions for our customers
- Drive Cross-functional collaboration with peer technology and product teams across the company to deliver high-impacting products
- Perform hands-on architecture, design, development, and testing
- Drive high-level & detailed technical designs and conduct designs & code reviews as needed
- Drive consistent development practices – tools, Enterprise Frameworks and common components
- Bring Outside-In perspective on A2A & B2B integrations within the platform
- Promote use of new technologies & products to solve business needs and improve productivity
- Guide team members in implementing new, highly available, scalable, resilient applications
- Provide technical mentorship to team members at all levels
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Actively participate in team and company-wide architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Foster a collaborative spirit across multiple teams
- Promote a culture of innovation and experimentation to deliver faster, nimble products
- Be an advocate for Open-Sourcing and promote open-source contribution & reuse
- University or Master’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 12+ years of equivalent experience in related disciplines
- Experience with design and implementation of distributed applications
- Hands-on coding experience in one of languages Java, Go, Python and expertise in enterprise solutions like Kafka, RDBMS, NoSQL Databases
- Experience in implementing reactive, multi-threaded application using RxJava, Vert.x is a plus
- Thorough understanding of RESTful API design principles with solid API development experience
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a just-in-time environment
- Experience working in high-performing, iterative development teams
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Understanding of lean principles and their manifestation in efficient software development practices is a plus
- Experience with Cloud Technologies are a plus
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org