Java Engineer - Front-End
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join Team Amex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we champion your meaningful career journey with programs, benefits, and flexibility to back you personally and professionally. Every colleague shares in the company’s success.
That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to our customers, communities, and each other every day. And, we’ll do it with integrity and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they truly belong.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
American Express Global Merchant Services Technology is an organization that develops and maintains Business-critical system capabilities that support the set-up, payment and operation of millions of Amex card-accepting merchants around the world. As part of this diverse global team, you will design, develop and deploy software in a secure manner that delivers strategic solutions to meet the evolving and growing needs of the Business. Here, you can work alongside other talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. As an Engineer, you would be part of an Agile scrum team reporting to an Engineering Director.
As a Software Engineer, you’ll help to build world class software through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation). You’ll contribute to the design, development, troubleshooting, debugging, evaluation, modification, deployment, and documentation of software and systems that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Building software to expected quality and standards using distributed enterprise frameworks
- Participating in code, test & other quality reviews
- Debugging basic software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Enabling the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Automating deployments in test and production environments
- Scaling applications based on demand projections
Up to 4+ years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience with the following:
- Experience with REACT/Redux preferred
- Understanding of web performance optimization techniques.
- Thorough understanding of JSON, Web Service technologies, and data structure fundamentals
- Familiarity with UX and Wiremocks for web page design and user stories
- Hands on Java application design, software development and automated testing (Java 8 and higher)
- Intermediate knowledge of infrastructure technologies and components - familiarity with Cloud computing
- Experience with Event-driven/Micro-services architecture for high-availability/distributed systems.
- Experience with Test driven development (TDD), Selenium, unit testing frameworks, Performance and Regression tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as GIThub and code build tools like IntelliJ using Maven or Gradle
- Understanding of DevOps concepts such as an CI/CD tools, Docker, Splunk and Dynatrace tooling
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- University Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent experience
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org