Engineer - Amex in a Box
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
The Amex in a Box engineering group is building foundational technology for a globally distributed software as a service offering that we can bring to new markets quickly with superior economics. Our goal is to be able to stand up a new instance of “Amex as a service” in hours so that the company can move quickly to seize business opportunities and outpace the competition.
We are looking for Engineers to be part of an empowered, self-organizing group that is just starting up, with the opportunity to use modern languages and tools and to deploy software in public cloud environments. Our cross-functional teams span the stack, from front ends to APIs to databases, and they have all the skills and resources they need to build, ship and operate their own software.
Technical problems we work on:
- How to set up the infrastructure and install the software for hundreds of applications at once
- How to operate and evolve a set of global services with compute and data partitioned across geographically distributed data centers
- How to modularize our architecture so that we can flexibly plug in market-specific capabilities like payment processing and credit reporting on a global scale
As an Engineer, you will:
- Scope technical projects and break them down into user stories and tasks within an engineering team
- Directly contribute to the design and coding of our products, serving as a role model for how great software is built at Amex
- Build software systems that are secure, reliable, scalable, and extensible
- Make sound technical decisions utilizing the advice of teammates and contribute to technical conversations with other engineering teams
- Mentor junior team members and assist with projects that develop their skill
Technologies we use at Amex:
- React in the browser
- Code lives in GitHub Enterprise and flows to production through a CI/CD pipeline built on GitHub Actions
- Code runs in Kubernetes-managed Docker containers hosted in a mix of private and public clouds
- Other key tech includes GraphQL, gRPC, Kafka, Postgres, Couchbase, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Redis, OpenTracing, Jaeger, Prometheus, and Grafana
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Experience working as an Engineer implementing complex software projects in business and technology environments
- Experience contributing to the design of complex systems that deliver critical business impact
- Participated in gathering and synthesizing users’ feedback and experience with your software
- Effective at giving and receiving constructive feedback to/from peers, team members, and leaders
- Work well cross-functionally, and your colleagues at all levels and across all teams trust you
- Comfortable working in ambiguously defined problem spaces and can direct your energy and deliver tangible results that advance team goal
In this position, you may choose to work either fully virtually or in a hybrid configuration, coming into a technology campus regularly but infrequently (approximately 2 days out of every 2 weeks). Our teams will be distributed across the UK and the US Eastern and Central time zones
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org