2023 Technology Software Engineer Apprentice Programme (London and Brighton)
Location: Brighton and Hove
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development.
Find your place in Tech on #TeamAmex!
We are looking for Apprentices to join in our 18 Month Software Engineering Apprenticeship which will give you real on-the-job work experience whilst allowing you to gain a Level 4 Java Software Engineering qualification. Our Program has been designed to nurture our next generation of technical specialists and leaders. We’ll provide you with continuous training and development, 20% classroom-based training with 80% on the job learning.
You will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of programming languages; Java, Go, Kotlin, Python, CSS, Java Script, Mavern, Spring and many more. You’ll receive support and guidance from your placement team, leader, buddy and mentor, to aid you in securing a permanent role in one of our teams. We are committed to providing you the opportunity to work on projects that can make a long-lasting impact on the business, as well as a good experience through multiple networking events during the programme.
What type of work can you expect to do in Technology at American Express?
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predict future challenges
- Develop software applications as part of a Scrum team
- Learn technical skills, write code, conduct code reviews and testing
- Work with product managers to prioritise features for new products and manage a list of requirements based on industry trends and new technologies
- Design work, such as user experience or graphic design
- Working and collaborating in an Agile Environment
- Bespoke learning and development programme, e.g. technical, leadership, networking and soft skills
- Take part in social activities, charity days, and projects with other Apprentices and Graduates
Skills & Qualifications:
Are you up for the challenge?
- Creative, collaborative, and curious thinker with a desire to learn
- An Eye for detail and the ability to identify opportunities for innovation and change
- Passion for technology
- Ability to effectively communicate with non-technical business partners
- Capable of working well and contributing meaningfully in a team environment
- Fluent English communication
- Prior coding knowledge/experience in at least one programming language
Good to have:
- Experience of developing products or projects either in an academic, professional or personal setting
- Some entry level software development experience or design or creative experience
- A Levels preferably grade C or above (or equivalent i.e. BTEC) in STEM related subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths)
- A*-C Grade GCSE Maths & English
*Please note that if you have studied/achieved a Level 4 or above in computer science, you are not eligible to apply *
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
For your application to be considered, please complete the below steps:
- Click on ‘Apply Now’
- Create a new username and password
- Complete and submit your application
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. If your application meets our eligibility criteria, you should be willing to complete an online coding assessment to progress through the hiring process. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by 1st March 2023 when the Assessment Centres will be held. The deadline for applications is 17th February 2023.Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.