Software Engineer (REST API) - Java/Kotlin
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join Team Amex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we champion your meaningful career journey with programs, benefits, and flexibility to back you personally and professionally. Every colleague shares in the company’s success.
That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to our customers, communities, and each other every day. And, we’ll do it with integrity and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they truly belong.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
We are looking for a Server-Side Engineer to work on Mobile application Service Layer (Backend for Frontend) that will be used by tens of millions of American Express cardholders around the world. We are looking for strong technical skills and creativity and a passion for solving tough problems and working with modern technologies. You should not be shy about sharing your ideas and be obsessive about user experience and beautiful code.
You will be part of the Mobile Engineering team whose mandate is to develop new products and platforms for American Express customers. Mobile Engineering’s aim is to build interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer's journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase. You will be working in a large team of engineers, product people, designers, and QA to build the “Backend for Frontend” API layer consumed by Award-winning American Express mobile apps.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Contribute to the design, architecture, and development of Sever side APIs that are elegant, efficient, secure, highly available, and maintainable
- Works closely with other developers (within the team and outside the team), and product owners to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction
- Contribute insights into ways to improve our processes and tools
- Be highly motivated and maintain a positive, “can-do” attitude in a collaborative environment
- Follow and help cultivate consistent development best practices
- Collaborates with manager and other software developers to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain the Server side APIs
- Assists in estimation and assessment of feasibility of features
- Participate in agile ceremonies, grooming, refinement, discovery
- Kotlin, Gradle, REST, GQL, RAML
In this position, you may choose to work either fully virtually or in a hybrid configuration, coming into a technology campus weekly (approximately 2 days a week).
- University degree in Computer Science or similar or related relevant experience
- Moderate to extensive experience in Kotlin, or experienced in Java and interested in working with Kotlin
- Knowledge of Java design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Experience in TDD
- Experience in RESTful API API/Web Service Development
- Good understanding of JSON, XML, SOAP, HTTP, web services technologies, and data structure fundamentals
- Familiar with the software development life cycle (eg working in Scrum/kanban, CI/CD)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with build (eg Gradle/Maven/Ant, etc.) and deployments on application servers preferable
- Experience working with testing libraries (eg Junit, Mockito)
- Familiar with Continuous Integration/Deployment (eg Jenkins, Maven, JMeter, etc.)
- Knowledge of the open-source Java ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks
- Understanding of code versioning like git
- Experience in creation and review of software and architecture designs
- Experience in thought-leadership regarding implementation best practices
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com