UK Employment Lawyer, Associate Counsel
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together. #LI-Hybrid
Unleash your analytical skills to define the future of how we serve our customers. How we serve our customers is constantly evolving and is a challenge we gladly accept. Whether you’re finding new ways to prevent identity fraud or enabling customers to start a new business, you can work with one of the most valuable data sets in the world to identify insights and actions that can have a meaningful impact on our customers and our business. And, with opportunities to learn from leaders who have defined the course of our industry, you can grow your career and define your own path.
General Counsel's Organization is looking for UK Employment Lawyer, Associate Counsel.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Provide general employment law support to the Colleague Experience Group (CEG/HR) functions across UK to include CEG/HR Business Partners, Colleague & Labour Relations, Reward and Talent Acquisition. This includes a broad range of non-contentious employment issues from traditional employment and labour law topics to a wide range of impacts and initiatives with colleague impact. Strategic leadership to be provided for contentious issues including the negotiation of agreements, and the management of external counsel for litigation.
- Proactively ensuring good practice employment law compliance. Providing support on the implementation of legal developments and initiatives and review of related materials, drafting and negotiation of policies and procedures. Creation of legal updates through an audited protocol for maintenance and compliance with new employment laws. Create and deliver training sessions to CEG/HR.
- UK Qualified Lawyer with current practising certificate.
- In-house employment lawyer experience required.
- Experience in financial sector working in large organisations
- Expert knowledge of and experience of delivering advice on employment law. Experienced in providing advice on a wide range of employment issues in a flexible and approachable way. Expertise in advising on legal compliance and complex legal issues within the employment law space.
- Solid employment litigation experience.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating termination agreements.
- Pensions experience desirable.
- Calm under pressure.
- Flexible relationship management and people skills. Keen to collaborate throughout the organisation – a team player. Able to form and maintain strong working relationships within the General Counsel Organisation/Group Counsel/Employment Law Group (GCO) and with clients.
- Ability to provide thoughtful guidance on complex and sensitive issues with the appropriate balance of commercial risk.
- Excellent drafting skills. Ability to assess complex legal documents and make recommendations for actions Independent and accountable self-starter.
- Strategic thinker with a balance of analytical skills and due attention to detail. Proven experience providing high quality internal advice/reports and analytics.
- The energy, confidence and gravitas to advise the senior management and influence individuals within the organisation. A confident speaker and negotiator.
- The ability to recognise and manage challenge from internal clients.
- Prepared to take the lead with regards to making appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to make recommendations and decisions based on analysis and expertise. Creative and experienced problem solver.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com