Staff Architect - Global Payment Network Technology
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex.
Want to be part of the team that delivered the first foreign payment network in China, has won several awards for innovation and drives payment innovation across the industry? If so, read on!
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic team, it is a great time to join the Global Network Services Technology (GNST) team as we partner with our Network & Acquirer Solutions (NAS) business group to define and evolve Payment products and solutions including those based on EMV Chip, Contactless, NFC Mobile, QR Codes and more.
As a Staff Architect, you will be responsible for the leading a team of self-starters to define our ‘EMV’ technical specifications and implement innovative technology solutions in collaboration with American Express Product and Industry Standards business teams. This role is responsible for hands-on guidance and significant contributions to these deliverables based on deep ‘EMV related’ domain expertise and experience using this in the Card Payments Industry.
The successful candidate will have a deep technical understanding of :
- EMV Cards & Terminals, Contactless payments, NFC Mobile Products
- EMV Payment Functional Specifications
- EMV Testing & Certification
- EMVCo Industry Standards
Coming from a technical background with business knowledge and context, you will be able to apply your expertise in EMV, contactless payments and NFC mobile payments (etc) by being versatile and able to collaborate with business stakeholders, product teams and cross functional technology groups to drive secure and interoperable payments solutions in-step with industry standards. You’ll enjoy using your excellent verbal and written communications skills to help demystify complex technical aspects of the EMV related domain to other audiences and be comfortable if required to represent American Express at external industry forums, such as EMVCo.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Work with the Product Owners, Principal Architect, Staff Architects, Staff Engineers, Solutions Architects and Senior Software Engineers to create, improve and review technical functional specifications, system architecture and designs, and contributions to industry standards
- Supply technical leadership and apply best practices to further our technology solutions within the payments industry domain
- Collaborate and partner effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including Technology, Product and Industry Engagement teams to drive change required to execute product roadmaps, and influence industry standards
- Create an engaging and inclusive team culture where colleagues feel empowered to deliver at their best
- A Computer Science / Computer Engineering / Information Systems degree, or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in EMV Cards & Terminals, Contactless payments, NFC Mobile Products
- Hands-on technical experience in use of EMV specifications, through software development or similar involvement
- Proven experience attracting, hiring and retaining top talent with the specialisations to support the ‘EMV Products’
- Thought leadership, combining technical skills with business strategy
- Strong communication and relationship building skills, with proven track record influencing and driving delivery across multiple partners Comfortable managing constructive debate, and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Strong focus on customers and clients with a history of exceeding customers’ expectations
- Experience in the card payment network domain
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com